PDA

View Full Version : Water in brake system

smorris65
06/14/2005, 01:49 PM
I just got my VX about 2 months ago and it has driven fine. Last week the brakes started to feel soft. I replaced the master Cylinder diaphram because it was stretched out and wouldn't fit back in. Today, as I happen to be leaving Isuzu service my brakes failed completely. After an inspection I was told the brake fluid was contaminated with water and all my seals were ruined. Also the diaphram I put in yesterday has already bloated up because of the water. I was told the repair could run $9000.00 or more. Oh my God.
Anyone have an issue like this before and how extensive did the repair go?
Please tell me replacing the master cylinder and flushing the system fixed it.

thanks

smorris65
06/14/2005, 01:56 PM
Sorry, not $9000.00.
$900.00 if ABS not damaged. $4500.00

Hotsauce
06/14/2005, 04:12 PM
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Thats why you only use a new unopened can, and discard the remainder.

I change my brake fluid every year, and use Ford HD DOT3. Some may prefer more exotic expensive fluid, but this is excellent and cheap.

Moisture can't damage brake seals, what it can do is cause rust in the bores, and the rust itself can tear up a seal.

$900 to bleed the brakes is a total robbery if thats all they do. I can't believe the ABS unit is another $3k. If it were my truck, I'd put in fresh fluid and test it. With an assistant you can do this yourself in about an hour, and using about a quart of fluid.

John C.

smorris65
06/14/2005, 05:17 PM
I am now being told it is contaminated with something silicone based because it ate up the master cylinder diaphram I installed yesterday.
$100 to bled and flush. But Isuzu, nor just brakes will do that because they both say it is totally contaminated and needs everything replaced. Just my luck.

Todd Adams
06/15/2005, 10:15 AM
Power steering fluid would be my guess. This often happens by mistake.
Todd

Tone
06/15/2005, 11:01 AM
Power steering fluid on the VX calls for Dexron III but I could see someone grabbing a silicone based fluid for the steering and then putting it in the brake reservoir - bummer.

I too recommend doing it yourself - and get this great product called SpeedBleeders that makes it MUCH easier - order four bleeders (sometimes sold in sets of 2 but did not see on their site although the p/n that follows is off a 2pc package) p/n SB7100 @
http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/

I flushed Lisa's brakes this Sunday in about 15 minutes and used a quart of Castrol SynPower Dot 3/4. Be surer to capture and properly dispose do the flushed fluid.

smorris65
06/15/2005, 12:08 PM
I am claiming this on Insurance and will let them fix it.
I'd try it myself, but am convinced it is shot.
The master Cylinder diaphram was so distorted within less than 24 hours after I replaced it, that this convinced me every other rubber part was probably affected. The 2 places I went would not even flush it because they said the contamination was so bad. I have concluded one of 2 things happened. the person I bought it from put the wrong fluid in it before I purchased it. But if that was the case I don't think it would run fine for 2 months and then just fail. My only other conclusion, and the one I am giving to insurance, is vandalism. I have no other explaination.