PDA

View Full Version : loud knocking from motor

vidkid
07/02/2005, 12:52 PM
As if i had to ask... I bought my 99 Vehicross week ago from Carmax.
I was driving it last night and all of a sudden I lost 90% of my power I heard a loud knocking sound from the motor and the oil and check engine lights came on. Has anyone else been through this???? Do you think i'm going to be looking at replacing the motor?? Broken timing belt? thrown rod?
Carmax said that they would take care of any problems that I had for the first 30 days, i'm worried that they will just do some band aid bubble gum repair job just to make it last 3 more weeks. any experiences you may have had would be helpfull.

Thanks
Vidkid :confused:

Jonnie
07/02/2005, 02:54 PM
It could be a few things, but it does not sound good. I would not drive it. Do you have a mechanic you trust for a second opinion?

I think Carmax would set it straight, even if it meant returning the vehicle.

Jonnie

Joe_Black
07/02/2005, 05:28 PM
I'm with Jonnie, contact CarMax and they should send out a rollback.

Just make sure they put in a 3.5L DI engine. Tell 'em it's supposed to be the same as the '04 Axioms! ;)

Tone
07/02/2005, 06:04 PM
Come on Joe, don't get him excited like hhat - you know a DI ain't gonna be drop in and would also require a complete engine instead of just the block and innerards.

Joe_Black
07/02/2005, 06:56 PM
I know, I know... But a guy can dream, can't he? :rollg:

LOL! :laughy:

thebear54
07/03/2005, 02:40 AM
A few of my friends have bought cars from Carmax down South. From what I have heard they are very reputable people to deal with. Take it back and have them repair the problem the right way. The VX has a 30 day warranty which should cover all the repairs, after all I am sure Carmax checked out the VX before they put it up for sale, if it was bad to begin with they would have wholesaled it and not bothered to put it on the lot.
If a new motor is called for go for the DI.
John

Jonnie
07/13/2005, 08:22 PM
So What happened? :confused:

Maugan_VX
07/14/2005, 10:13 AM
bought my VX from carmax, and they did all warranty work for me 3 weeks after I bought it, included replacing one of the $1700 seats.