PDA

View Full Version : Notice rusted gas cap bolt heads...

VXNIT
07/06/2005, 02:12 PM
Have many VXer's ran into this? Notice this on gas cap but no cladding bolt heads...Any gas gap mods out there?

Maugan_VX
07/06/2005, 02:16 PM
other than the rusted screw heads, is there something about the gas cap that you do not like that requires that you "mod" it?

Moncha
07/06/2005, 03:51 PM
Take them out, clean and paint the heads with rustolium they'll be fine.

Ldub
07/06/2005, 05:53 PM
Or replace them with stainless steel.

WormGod
07/07/2005, 07:14 AM
Yep, mine look horrible. Been thinking of alternatives to this eye sore. ANyone imagine your typical everyday hardware store would carry these bad boys in stainless or know of an online location?

Think while I am at it, I am gonna take off the entire gas hatch and polish or paint it. Kinda bored with that flat gray.

VXNIT
07/07/2005, 09:33 AM
I am with you on that Wormgod, thianking of powdercoating heads or maybe stainless with chrome cap assembly. I am in Daytona and work with a chrmer localkly for all my custom bike mods so if we can do a group chrome deal with this guy might be good price that way. I live near beach so polishing is out of the question. Maybe I will start a post and see how many want to get there cap assembly chromed? Need to know what type of metal each part is made of and if it can be completely disassemble as well....Any idea on that...

Cyrk
07/07/2005, 09:56 AM
Lenny polished his, I think it looks GREAT! That is the route I want to go. Chrome would be cool also... Let me know if you can get it done.

Check it:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/664isuzu8.jpg

Moncha
07/07/2005, 11:15 AM
How's about black chrome?

Ldub
07/07/2005, 03:57 PM
Just so you know ahead of time...When disassembling the gas cap, make sure to get a finger behind the nut when removing the cap screws that hold the rubber stop bracket & the catch or you'll be buying new nuts too.
The cap screws are readily available in metric stainless at any "real" hardware store that has Dorman or similar fastener selection.
Ldub