PDA

View Full Version : Blown rear speakers....

Ebony1433
07/09/2005, 05:22 PM
So I bring in my VX to BestBuy, because my amp was losing power to the subwoofer at about 1/2 max volume....as the tech removed the amp so it could be sent out to be fixed (for the 2nd time-not exactly a ringing endorsement for Kenwood), he tested the rest of the speakers, and found that the 4" rear on the passenger side had blown. Now, those were 2 year old MB Quarts, and I don't exactly cruise the boulevard with the base thumpin', ya dig? So I was surprised to find this out...
So, the best the BestBuy can offer to replace is a $90 Rockford-Fosgate, good for 80/40 watts...Crutchfield.com also says the best they have that will fit is the Boston Acoustic S45, at about the same price.
Now, the tech tells me that if it were up to him, he'd just disconnect the rears, as he says with a subwoofer, those 4" rears will just keep blowing. Anyone had this problem? Earlier, he was complaining that it takes 3 hours to replace the rear speakers on a VX, so do you think he was just trying to get out of a difficult install job?
Has anyone managed to fit something larger than a 4" back there?

psychos2
07/09/2005, 06:48 PM
Now, the tech tells me that if it were up to him, he'd just disconnect the rears, as he says with a subwoofer, those 4" rears will just keep blowing.

Sounds like a good reason NOT to go to best buy and have them do your install.the salesman needs to put down the crack pipe!! the problem may be that you should block the bass from the mids and highs because you will not hear the distortion over the sub and can turn it up to high and blow the mids and highs.but that really has nothing to do with the sub.any good car stereo shop will install the bass blockers when they install your sub for this reason. once you install a sub you do not need the mids to play the low frequency bass anymore and blocking the bass will help prolong the life of the mids.as far as the amp,that could be because of an improper match between the ohms of the sub and the ohms the amp runs at.making the amp work harder and shortening the life of the amp. shawn

AnalogVX
07/09/2005, 07:51 PM
Spazz shoehorned 6X9's in there. PM him.

AnalogVX
07/09/2005, 07:52 PM
BTW, I'm using the 4" Rockford Fosgates back there. No trouble yet. And it is pain to get in there to replace.

SPAZZ
07/09/2005, 09:38 PM
I since removed those 6x9's and ..um..."shoehorned" 12's back there. Try that...kind of pain staking at first but gets really fun after awhile.