PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel? Maybe second thoughts...

Joe_Black
07/12/2005, 07:37 AM
I've been focused on Ethanol as a viable gasoline substitute due to fact that most of my road-going vehicles are gasoline powered, and as such easily converted. But the recent acquisition of a diesel truck with 160 gallons fuel capacity and an average 7mpg had me take a second look at biodiesel. Plus I've got 6 large pieces of equipment that are all diesel powered and the need for an on-site bulk tank has arrived. But what really kicked my research into high gear was a recent article in the local paper about some folk running WVO (waste vegetable oil) straight. There are some drawbacks to this practice, but most have to do with colder climes than our balmy Florida.

In any case, I thought it might be of interest and get some the other gear-heads here ticking over in thought... Vegetarian Cars (http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050710/NEWS/507100312&SearchID=73213938018025)

kpaske
07/13/2005, 07:41 PM
That's really cool... vege oil powered diesels... I just may have to go out and buy myself an old Mercedes now. ;Db;

Keep us posted, Joe, if you do any experimenting in this area. I'd be curious about engine longevity and other maintenance issues, liked the clogged fuel filters.

Joe_Black
07/13/2005, 09:07 PM
That article really piqued my curiosity. I'd be more interested in making regular biodiesel than running the straight oil. Producing biodiesel from waste or clean vegetable oil is actually pretty straightforward and very similar to the process for making soap. One of the major by-products is glycerin. Many biodiesel producers have been using the glycerin to make and sell an effective degreaser similar to GoJo.

Interestingly enough, there's an '83 2-door VW Jetta diesel for sale nearby. Really nice shape and 1-owner. Very tempting...

thebear54
07/14/2005, 04:20 AM
I have a guy locally who has been running Bio-Diesel through his converted school bus/camper for a couple of years now and he swears by it. Clean, cheap,non-gelling fuel...what more can you ask for :p
John

kpaske
07/14/2005, 05:54 AM
I just find it amazing that a pre-85 stock diesel engine will run straight waste oil with no modifications whatsoever. And it sounds like the maintenance issues are minor. Of course, I wouldn't have much luck doing that up here in Seattle, but when I get down to southern Cali at the end of this year, I may just give it a shot.

What is the advantage to converting to bio-diesel if the waste oil gives you the same mileage as standard diesel?

Joe_Black
07/14/2005, 06:19 AM
The big issues as I understand it with straight oil is the higher acidity, which will lead to pitting and accelerated etching. When you convert vegetable oil to biodiesel you're first de-watering it, then performing what's called "transesterfication" which removes the fats and adjusts the pH. Basically refining.

For the folk in the article they could basically run the engine on straight oil till replacment then just get another cheapie for replacement and they'd always be ahead in $$$. But getting a good system down for refining the vegetable oil to biodiesel and then establishing a collection technique and routine with your local restaurants is, in my opinion, the best way to go. That way you have less wear and compatibility issues, plus you could sell any excess fuel to a local co-op.

Lots of possibilities! Kinda makes you want to put a 4BD1TC in the VX. ;)

kpaske
07/14/2005, 06:23 PM
I'd be happy with a Mercedes as a second or third car... ;Db;

I'll have to look into the conversion process from vege oil to biodiesel. The whole idea is very interesting, and could help offset the high cost of fueling my VX! Although once I get the process down (and get spoiled on cheap fuel) I might consider that engine swap...

Is the 4BD1TC the Isuzu diesel from Europe?

Joe_Black
07/14/2005, 06:29 PM
The 4BD1TC is the intercooled turbo diesel used in non-US Troopers, but interestingly is also used in the Isuzu NPR heavy truck here in the US. So there is a great source of entire engines, cores and parts. You'd need to fabricate a functional hood-scoop for the intercooler, but I think that would just add to the VX's appeal.

Here's a good link (with many other good links) for biodiesel and other alternative fuel info: Journey to Forever - Biodiesel. (http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html)

Just found this link today, a professional conversion company with an impressive track record: Elsbett. (http://elsbett.com/engl/index.htm)

kpaske
07/16/2005, 11:09 AM
Joe -

After reading a few of those articles, I'm seriously considering getting an older diesel car or SUV to experiment with. Since I'm trying my best to save up money right now, it's got to be something I can find for next to nothing (like an early 80's model or earlier). I've been looking around at a few of the old Mercedes, which would be a great candidate, but I'm not very familiar with what else might be available. Do you know if any of the older U.S. Troopers or other SUV's came with diesels? What about turbo models? I'd love to have a nice 4 door Mercedes to cruise the kids around in, but then again, another SUV to do my hauling and dirty work would save a lot of wear and tear on the VX... Hmmm... Any suggestions? :?:

Ldub
07/16/2005, 12:04 PM
I had an 86 Trooper turbo diesel that was a great truck. I sold it to a friend who still uses it as his daily driver w/ well over 100k on the clock.
That'd be a good one...IF you could find one.
Also, I remember there were quite a few Olds & other GM full size cars produced w/ diesel plants in the late 70's & early 80's.

Ldub

Joe_Black
07/16/2005, 02:20 PM
I came SOOOO close to buying a cherry 1-owner 1984 VW Jetta that was for sale nearby. All white, grey tweed interior, 5-speed, 2 door turbo diesel with new Pirellis all round. It went for $1625. I've just got too many irons in the fire to take on yet another "project", but this will definitely stay on my hot-list.

As for finding older diesels, it's pretty easy. Just pick up your local paper and check the classifieds, and make an evening Internet routine of searching eBay and www.traderonline.com . When I look on eBay I'll specify a brand and diesel in the search, then sort by highest price first so the bulk of the actual vehicles will be at the top of the list.

Here's an '86 Trooper turbo diesel that's mistakenly listed as an '81: eBay Trooper Turbo Diesel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4561449692&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

An '82 810 diesel that's nice: eBay 1982 Datsun 810 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6188&item=4561743744&sspagename=WDVW)

Here's a US rarity, a '91 Nissan Patrol: eBay 1991 Nissan Patrol (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6392&item=4561574539&sspagename=WDVW)

On eBay alone there's gobs of older Mercedes diesels, but the best place for those is usually you local small Benz shop.

Definitely stay clear of the 70'/80's US diesel cars, ESPECIALLY the GM based ones! All they did was put diesel heads on their gas engines during the fuel crunch and they're well known as total lemons. The block can't handle the increased stress and pressures of the diesel and they literally self destruct. That's one reason the foreign makes are such better diesels, they've been building them much longer and in greater quantities for regular everyday drivers unlike the US where we're primarily dependant upon gasoline.

Joe_Black
07/28/2005, 02:03 PM
Here's one already to go with a dual-fuel setup:1986 BioDiesel Trooper (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-ISUZU-TROOPER-DIESEL-RUNS-VEGGIE-OIL-FREE-FUEL-PUP-LUV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6269QQitemZ45645683 45QQrdZ1)