PDA

View Full Version : Window clip adhesive?

biju
07/16/2005, 11:39 AM
Hey gang,

I'm in need of some information regarding the window clip adhesive used on our VX's...

I've done a search, and found that some say, "3M makes a special adhesive for windows..." However, there's no mention of the exact name of this adhesive (Searching 3M's site is impossible!).

Anybody know?

I'm attempting to fix my passenger window this weekend myself to save some money. The clips are fine, as the window just popped out of the clips with the adhesive remaining stuck to the glass (no adhesive stuck to the clips). The adhesive left on the windows appears to be a grayish - somewhat rubbery compound?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-biju.

Anita
07/16/2005, 01:51 PM
I think that there was at least one person that posted something about trying to glue the tab back on the glass but I dont think he was successful. I remember being told that the only real fix was buying the whole window. If your efforts dont work, you might try finding a used window at a salvage yard.

iownvx
07/16/2005, 01:55 PM
try rearview mirror adhensive. I saw it at Kragen before for like $2-$3 bucks.

WyrreJ
07/16/2005, 03:17 PM
google for:

"glass adhesive" site:3m.com

you get three hits, all look like they are talking about the same product which might be the one the quote is talking about.

HotFlyer
07/16/2005, 07:03 PM
I found the 3M Part Numbers.

3M Automix, Channel Bonding & Sidelite Adhesive. Part# 08641
3M Automix Applicator Gun. Part# 08191
3M Mixing Nozzles Clear. Part# 08197

These are the parts you need to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Howard (0761)

biju
07/18/2005, 08:36 PM
All - thank you for your replies!

Drivers side window was fixed by my mechanic a long time ago and I still haven't had a problem since (knock on wood, as I'm sure it's only a matter of time...). Only started to fix the passenger window to save $.

I've ordered the 3M products. Will let you know how it goes! After all, what else do I have to lose? If anything else I got my hands dirty and learned first hand how messed up our window design really is!

-biju.