PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount a second Battery??

CrzyFool
07/26/2005, 09:30 AM
I would like to have an Optima Yellow-Top to power my electronics (600w amp drains like a mofo) And keep my Red-Top to power the engine. Once I have my Morgan-Tec inatke installed, where will I find room to mount the Yellow Top??

Triathlete
07/26/2005, 10:00 AM
Take a look at Spazz's gallery. He has dual batteries plus a whole lot of other stuff mouted up there.

MZ-N10
07/26/2005, 10:01 AM
i dont think the engine bay has much room for another battery. so ur best bet is to install it inside the car, but tat requires u to get a battery box(if u dont mind an exploding battery i guess u dont need one). the only place tat might be able to hide a battery is in the plastic on the opposite side of the jack.

transio
07/26/2005, 10:16 AM
I'm of the opinion that you should mount any added mass towards the back of the car for better weight distribution.

Triathlete
07/26/2005, 10:52 AM
Spazz's dual batteries under hood...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/342dsc03557.jpg
They will fit!

transio
07/26/2005, 11:00 AM
They will fit!If you remove the stock airbox ;)

Triathlete
07/26/2005, 11:05 AM
I'm sure box will go bye-bye. He's putting a Morgan-Tec intake under the hood! :yesy:

VehiGAZ
07/26/2005, 11:24 AM
Ideally, any extra weight should go nearest the middle of the car as close to the center of gravity as possible. This will keep the extra mass from becoming extra lean while cornering. Of course, that should be balanced with the desire to balance the fore/aft weight distribution, as transio mentioned.

transio
07/26/2005, 12:43 PM
I'm sure box will go bye-bye. He's putting a Morgan-Tec intake under the hood! :yesy:Ah, missed that part. As you can see in my VX, the Morgan-Tec doesn't leave enough room for an Optima, though, because it angles forward to use the stock air hole.
http://stevenmoseley.com/vehicross/morgantec_intake_3.jpg

transio
07/26/2005, 12:47 PM
Ideally, any extra weight should go nearest the middle of the car as close to the center of gravity as possible. This will keep the extra mass from becoming extra lean while cornering.Actually, as close to the ground (or axle) as possible. If you add 1000 pounds at the center of mass, the car will still have more body roll than stock, because the force is a multiple of mass * distance from the pivot point (ground or axle, depending on whether you're calculating for suspension or tires). If you add mass at the pivot point, it is effectively neutral (if freely rotating) or can actually decrease body roll (if firmly attached to the frame).

Joe_Black
07/26/2005, 12:49 PM
The nice thing about the Optimas are that they don't vent explosive gas like conventional batteries, so inside mounting is a breeze. A battery box is still a requirement to secure the battery and help prevent anything conductive shorting the terminals. A good location would be the rear-right corner below where the lug-wrench is stowed. You can easily route your cables underneath that interior panel and mount any isolators or controls in the lug-wrench compartment for easy, concealed access.

SPAZZ
07/26/2005, 01:11 PM
:p

SGT.BATGUANO
07/26/2005, 10:29 PM
Maybe you can find a battery in a smaller size or configuration to fit where you want it. Optima may have 1 or multiple cycle batteries that might work for you

transio
07/27/2005, 08:15 AM
There are many smaller batteries designed for racing purposes that would fit easily in that spot. You can always throw the optima in the stock location and have the smaller battery just for starting power.

CrzyFool
08/02/2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the input . . . guess I will just have to figure it out myself :-p

Joe_Black
08/02/2005, 10:36 AM
You should really try just using the Yellow Top and a high-output alternator before resorting to a second battery setup. Even with two batteries now, if the Red Top is getting drained a second battery will as well but just not as quick. That means your battery is picking up the demand the stock alternator can't meet. Two, three or more batteries just means you'll go a bit longer before having to recharge. Batteries are for supplying start and overload power, while your alternator recharges the battery and supplies operating power.

Tone
08/02/2005, 12:08 PM
Optima recently released a significantly higher capacity battery YellowTop Group D75/25 in a larger case that might be easier to mount than 2 batteries.

CrzyFool
08/02/2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks again for all the input . . .

I have decied to go with a big Yellow Top and a Kill Switch to prevent drain when I park her for long periods of time.