PDA

View Full Version : Help! how many had/have hood insert problem?

LukeVX
07/27/2005, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I am having a bunch of trouble convincing the Isuzu dealer/factory reps. that the hood insert cracking and discoloring is something that is a flaw and should be replaced under the original warranty. How many of you out there have had your hood insert replaced by a dealer because of it being a flaw.

Please let me know and maybe I can do a print screen or something to try to convince them.

Thanks,

Luke Wagner
Mt. Vernon, IN

MZ-N10
07/27/2005, 10:39 AM
i have a crack on my insert for a while now...its not a very big crack so no one sees it...

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 11:12 AM
me too.

VXtreme
07/27/2005, 01:30 PM
I had the panel replaced under warranty when my "99 had about 45,000 miles on it. It had about a six inch long crack in about the middle of the panel on the drivers side. Not only was the panel replaced under warranty by Isuzu Intermountain in Salt Lake City, the replacement panel came in with a large crack in it from the factory and it too had to be replaced.

LukeVX
07/27/2005, 02:30 PM
thanks for the results......... keep em goin!

biju
07/27/2005, 02:37 PM
I had mine replaced under warranty twice in a VERY short period of time...

fine to large crack each time spanning almost the entire width from passenger side to the drivers side (across middle) of insert.

Looked to be a 'stress crack' each time, possibly from bad design or torqued to hard upon insertion?

-biju.

Numba1goalie
07/27/2005, 02:49 PM
I have a small crack about the diamiter of a dime on the front passenger side corner of my panel. :mad:

Anita
07/27/2005, 03:11 PM
Here is some old info from the old Vehicross forum. The problem has been around for a long time - lots of new owners had them replaced under warranty (some multiple times).

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002721.html

and this thread from the present site (if you havent seen it already):

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=556&highlight=insert

Ldub
07/27/2005, 03:51 PM
Mine has bubbles under the paint. Has anyone here sanded & repainted theirs? :confused:

Ldub

kpaske
07/27/2005, 04:03 PM
Mine has no cracks that I've noticed, but it does have several hemorrhages, er, paint bubbles.

CSTYLES
07/27/2005, 04:23 PM
Mines cracked across the middle. Hardly noticeable if it weren't for the chips missing from the side that were painted to match. I suspect that someone tried to remove it and the insert cracked (so it probably wouldn;t be covered under warranty, would it?)

WESTO
07/27/2005, 04:36 PM
YEAH MINE HAS A LONG CREASE FROM DRIVERS TO PASSENGERS SIDE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. BOUGHT USED SO GUESS I'M STUCK WITH IT UNTIL I CAN COME UP WITH AN INEXPENSIVE FIX IT. :o

tomdietrying
07/27/2005, 05:55 PM
I had mine replaced under warrenyty too!

Peace.
Tom

moon buggy
07/28/2005, 03:59 AM
yes i have just had mine painted the car colour, and it looked good for a couple of days but today I noticed the paint is bubbling ..well actually the opposite..small indentations and more towards the edges..not sure whats going on or how to curb it from getting worse...paint is a week old...i'm thinking I left the car out in the weather last night and perhaps temp/moisture change has caused the paint 'finish' to change.. :confused:

VehiCrazy
07/28/2005, 05:29 AM
Mine has two large cracks about 6 inches each. I was told by the Isuzu service manager here in Albuquerque, NM that it was NOT covered by the warranty and he would not replace it.

WormGod
07/28/2005, 07:18 AM
My first one got a crack that ran back from the corner and it was replaced. The replacement lasted a single winter and cracked as well, almost in the exact same place. Since went with the aftermarket carbon fiber scooped insert. NIL a problem with that. Must tell you something. ;)

maxw
07/28/2005, 12:54 PM
Replaced original under warranty, but subsequently developed new crack which was not allowed.

JRB
10/08/2005, 09:18 AM
I haven't had any cracks in my hood insert but I noticed the other day that the inside drivers side corner is lifting up. I'm worried that moisture and winter freezing/thawing is going to get underneath and erode the hood. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get that corner glued back down properly. I really want to do it myself if I can but I'm not sure what type of adhesive to use.

Raque Thomas
10/08/2005, 11:09 AM
The hood insert is bolted down, so maybe the nut just worked loose. Worst case, the adhesive holding the bolt to the back of the insert has failed, and you'll need to reglue it (JB Weld should work). Pull out the round plastic retainers that hold your underhood sound mat in place & remove it to get at the nuts that hold the hood insert. Note - the washer nozzles also have to be removed to take out the insert.

Tornado
11/06/2005, 05:08 PM
Let us know how the JB Weld works...Mine is doing the exact same thing!! :mad: