PDA

View Full Version : do not buy avic N2

zadam123
09/10/2005, 07:54 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the avic N1 hooked up so you can use all the features while driving DO NOT upgrade this unit to the avic n2 Also DO NOT buy the avic N2. You will not be able to watch tv or the rear view full screen etc.. while driving. There is NO bypass for the safety feature, I think they hooked up the saftey feature to the gps so unless you want to loose the gps theres no way to buypass. I learned the hard way, upgraded and lost all my cool features! :mad:

adam

Maugan_VX
09/10/2005, 08:31 PM
take it back?

did you google for any hacks on the internet?

Tone
09/11/2005, 01:34 PM
The shop I manage has done it several times although the AVIC1 is easier.

morgan-tec
09/12/2005, 12:22 AM
The AVIC N2 does have the video control routed through the giro in the gps so as soon as you reach 10mph it will turn off the video feed to the screen. I was told there was no way to bypass this since it is in the software, but you can fool the AVIC N1 by grounding the parking brake wire.

nyc #1 ironman
09/12/2005, 09:31 AM
Did someone say "N2". Gee, I'm still stumped by what happened to "N1" !!! lolololol...I'm sure all you old time VXERS will know what I'm talking about !

v2
09/12/2005, 05:25 PM
I have not tried this but since I was looking into buying an N2 I started to do some research.

I found this on a VW forum someware credit goes to the original poster:

This will Void the Warranty on the N2:

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving.
2. Make video playback available while driving (BAD BAD Thing).
3. No parking brake warning box.

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass:

Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197" drop a bit of solder between these to connect them (I wonder if you can use a conductive pen instead). You must also ground the Parking Brake wire.

That is it.

Tone
09/13/2005, 10:49 AM
That's it and it works. If you carefully remove the sticker you can go back in and desolder the pins and reattach. You will still loose access to some buttons but video will work and play normally.

zadam123
09/16/2005, 06:37 PM
what exactaly will you lose by doing this?

adam

Hotsauce
09/17/2005, 03:43 AM
You could solder a jumper wire if you wanted to be able to easily undo this mod. Or route it to a switch.

With this mod, does the N2 still count clicks on the speedo sensor?

John C.