PDA

View Full Version : Losing Oil

MSHardeman
09/23/2005, 11:04 AM
I know that this thread has been on here before, but what gives with the 3.5 liter losing oil? I just checked my dipstick and it was bone dry. I took it to a local shop, and they had to put two quarts back into her. I just had the oil changed a month to a month and a half ago, and it was already down two quarts!? WOW!
I'm using synthetic oil, so if I have to go through a quart a month, this isn't going to be cheap.
I don't see any puddles under it when I park, so is the engine burning oil? How else would I lose it? Can this be fixed?

transio
09/23/2005, 11:14 AM
Do what I do. Keep a quart in the back, and every time you fill up pop the hood and check your dipstick, adding a sip or two if necessary. I'm not as bad as yours, but I'll lose a quart or so between oil changes. Even so, it's good to be prepared!

My "road hazard" pack includes a quart of oil, a toolkit, a self-contained jumpstarter battery / air pump / hazard light, a can of fix-a-flat, and a bungee cord. :D (I used to keep a gallon of gas, too, but now I just fill up when I get to half a tank)

Joe_Black
09/23/2005, 01:43 PM
Be sure to change your PCV valve at every-other oil change if on the 3500 mile cycle. Also check your coolant to see if perhaps you've got a head gasket problem. Look under the VX after parking for while to check for leaks, especially around the rear of the engine and beneath the drain plug. The drain plug uses a copper washer as a seal which can be re-used for some time if cared for, but more often than not it gets damaged or over-torqued and can be a source of leakage. If leaking it can be replaced with an inexpensive poly washer from AutoZone or the like, or you could go with the excellent Fumoto valve which eliminates the whole drain plug issue altogether.

Share and post your findings! ;)

Anita
09/23/2005, 01:58 PM
I know there has been a ton of discussion of the subject but I would also make sure the EGR is clean and working properly. My Isuzu mechanic has said time and again that the EGR if not working right contributes to a hotter running engine ergo an engine burning up more oil. Green Dragon had posted an article with specifics on the subject.

Offroad vx
10/05/2005, 03:27 PM
My VX was losing at the same rate. I was at 1 qt. every 500 miles. Check your tailpipe and see how black it is since chances are it's just burning the oil. I was lucky enough to still be under warranty and after going through an oil consumption test I recieved a new motor just last week! So if you're under warranty get it to a dealer ASAP!

Anita
10/05/2005, 04:01 PM
This thread had an interesting conclusion and something to look for.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=67007#post67007

Check MBeach's post on sept. 29

Sheik-YurBooty
11/07/2005, 02:10 PM
I just had my oil changed 1 week ago w/ mobil 1 as always & I also put in a new pcv valve....I checked the oil yesterday,& dipstick read empty. it was checked both cold, & warm, same results

VehiGAZ
11/08/2005, 05:50 AM
Bad sign, Sheik. Monitor your oil level daily and write down what you see and how much you are losing.

Sheik-YurBooty
11/09/2005, 04:53 PM
All is fixed. Apparently the Idiot at the shop that did the oil change ,left out a mere 2 qts. I went back to them , gave em hell ( as if they cared), and finished the job by adding the 2 qts. I guess that at 2 qts low, nothing shows up on the dip stick.

Y33TREKker
11/09/2005, 06:41 PM
All is fixed. Apparently the Idiot at the shop that did the oil change ,left out a mere 2 qts. I went back to them , gave em hell ( as if they cared), and finished the job by adding the 2 qts. I guess that at 2 qts low, nothing shows up on the dip stick.

Geez. You'd think that a dipstick oil-level check would be included at the end before they drove the car back outside. Maybe I ask too much these days though.

Glad to hear that's all it was though.

Ldub
11/09/2005, 09:25 PM

Stories like this are always appreciated & remembered fondly by yours truly while I'm under my VX during cold weather, giving it another "transfusion" & muttering under my breath...it's WORTH it.
I hate the thought of anyone else wrenching on her...I just KNOW they're gonna take FUBAR to the next level.
Thanks, Ldub

Maugan_VX
11/10/2005, 02:34 PM
three things to check if you're getting your work done at a *lube establishment...

1) Oil Filter is screwed on securely.
2) Pan Plug is tight and not leaking.
3) Oil is at a proper level.

Do not leave the lot without checking (at least) these three things :)