PDA

View Full Version : Egr Valve

coolk41
10/08/2005, 11:44 AM
Would A Dirty Egr Valve Cause A Loss Of Power And Increased Fuel Consumption?

Hotsauce
10/08/2005, 04:07 PM
It'd be unusual for our egr valve to get that dirty.

What does commonly happen is the 22mm nut backs off, or the egr gasket blows out.

Either of these will throw false lean codes, and poor part throttle acceleration.

John C.

Syntek VX
10/10/2005, 06:09 AM
The EGR valve might not be that bad but the tube that flows into the intake can be almost entirely plugged. I changed my intake Gasket this weekend and when I got it apart I had to go to the store and get 3 cans of Carb Cleaner to clean everything out. It was that bad! There were puddles of oil in the bottom of the intake from years of blow by oil for the pcv valve. I shot some Carb cleaner down the tube coming from the EGR valve to the intake and it just trickled out a bit so I took a long thin screwdriver and pulled a chunk of gunk out as big as the diameter of the tube. There was almost no space for anything to flow. After I got everything cleaned out and back together you could hear the difference. The engine is much louder and there is the trademark air gulping noise from the Cold Air intake which I never had before. I just treated it with Sea foam last week and it was still this bad!