PDA

View Full Version : broken key in ignition

MIDN USNA
10/18/2005, 09:36 PM
i blame it on that damn back door not having a latch like all other suvs. so heres the deal, half of my key broke off in the ignition. i can still start and operate the car no problem but fear that one time when it doesnt work and i am stranded. should i call a locksmith, mechanic, or tear it open myself???

HotFlyer
10/19/2005, 04:02 AM
Hi,

You should call a locksmith and have the broken piece removed before it gets pushed in further. Once that happens, you will NOT be able to start your VX. Be very careful with it until the broken piece is removed.

Howard 0761

WormGod
10/19/2005, 07:22 AM
Ya, dont go too long like that. I did that with my old Amigo and eventually it kinda welded itself in there. I had to get all new door locks and an ignition block. Wasnt fun since you have to actually have the key OUT of the ignition cylinder in order to remove the cylinder, heh.

Good luck.

MIDN USNA
10/25/2005, 10:01 PM
so i got it out and was easy as can be. i bought a Haynes repair manual and took the steering column apart (bout 5 screws) and there was the ingnition right in my face begging to be taken apart. total time to get column off and key out of the ignition and reinstalled....45 minutes.

MZ-N10
10/25/2005, 10:34 PM
just a fyi, theres a handle on right side of where the license plate is.