PDA

View Full Version : Heater Blower driving me nuts!!!

Syntek VX
10/20/2005, 06:11 AM
So, I had my resistor pack go out on my blower and it quit on me. I ordered a new pack pluged it in and it works fine... for about 30 seconds then the fuse blows. I've gone through about 6 fuses trying to keep my window from fogging up as I go to work a 6:45 in the Ohio fog. Has anyone had this problem? I would seem to me that the resistance is off in the pack but it seems to be right since the blower is running at the right speeds when it works. I'm also getting an odd ozone smell sometimes. I'm going to tear into it this weekend and check for a burnt out wire and ac leaks until then I'm stumped.

PeteVX
10/20/2005, 06:51 AM
My wrangler jeep used to run on high speed only (the resistor block was burned out) a new resistor block was pretty expensive so i just went down to radio shack got a new resistor for $1 and crimped it inplace of the old one and it was fine. If yours doesnt even run on high though it sounds like the motor or wiring is shorted. Have you tried bypassing the resistor block or running a fused feed directly to the fan motor, that would tell you whether its the motor or the wiring to it thats bad.
good luck

Pete

Tone
10/20/2005, 08:13 AM
If you have a blown resistor pack, send it to me and I can repair them otherwise the part from Isuzu is $60

Syntek VX
10/21/2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Tone, I droped a new pack in already on Monday because I was getting nothing at that point. The fan worked after that but blows a fuse after a while. I pulled the fan and wired it directly from the power block for my Sub Amp and the fan works normally on a 40 amp fuse without blowing it which is the smallest fuse I have for the Amps Fuse block. The only problem is it keeps eating fuses with the 20 amp in the stock fuse block under the hood. I'm gonna try to get a reading tommorow on exactly how many amps the blower system is pulling at the fuse box. More than likely there is a short somewhere, I just have to find it.

Syntek VX
11/23/2005, 06:33 AM
Well it worked for a while now it's only running on high :confused: . Hey Tone could you send me a scematic for the rebuilding the resistor pack? I'm going to rewire the pack with new resistors this weekend and was wondering if you could give me the ratings for the resistors. Thanks

Tone
11/23/2005, 10:27 AM
I can send you a new one in the box for $45. Let me know.

JULIAN911
11/23/2005, 10:37 AM
Syntek,

If your blower is eating up fuses then there's a good chance that the motor is binding or a short in the fan circuit - bottom line is it's drawing way too much current. Sending the resistor pack to Tone would be wise since you can count on a quality repair job.... he fixed my fan!