PDA

View Full Version : Engine Falure, Ideas?

Tyler
10/20/2005, 06:43 AM
Hello all,
Need some ideas here. Motor blew this weekend. #1 cylinder fried. Took it to my mechanic and he said to take it to Isuzu for a 2nd opinion. Isuzu tore it apart and lo and behold it needs replaced. Isuzu quoted me $8,400.00 for a new motor and that seems way high to me. Any one out there had theres replaced and can give me some leads it would be greatly appriciated.

What bites is I have done everthing right with the car, oil changes, maintence, cleaned EGR and replaced PVS etc. It had 91,000 miles on it when it happened.

The car will be fixed and have no plan on getting ride of her, just need some help.

Thanks,
Ty

Tone
10/20/2005, 08:15 AM
Lack of proper maintenance (failure to change oil regularly or keep it full) I believe causes the majority of the failures, especially in light of the oil usage. So many people here have pulled their dipstick and see no oil on it and the motor goes. Usually the cost of the new short block installed is around $5500

Tyler
10/20/2005, 08:20 AM
Oil level was still full after the failure. $5,000 was more in the ball park of what I thought.

Thanks for the info Tone.

TEN36VX
10/20/2005, 02:48 PM
Just wondering if you had the altered idle problem caused by the Intake Manifold Gasket? Or if you have replaced that gasket? (I'm testing a theory)

I was speaking with a mechanic friend of my fathers a few weeks ago. He has a passenger car background and has a great deal of experience with Isuzu engines in generators and heavy equipment.

After telling him about the common problems with the VX engine, he was telling me that the intake manifold gasket leak could, over time, lead to the engine blowing problem. Consequently I changed my gasket out last night.

He was saying that actually Isuzu makes good quality engines. The neglected generators he services are often having their oil changed for the first time at 5000 hours (5k miles is roughly about 200 hours) and they are running fine. To agree with Tone, other Isuzu owners and mechanics I have talked to say that Isuzu engines last forever if you keep them serviced. Kind of off topic for this thread, but encouraging...

As for your question... I have seen threads on here about reasonably priced crate engines. If you are mechanically inclined you might want to search the forum for info or the net for a good deal.

psychos2
10/20/2005, 08:05 PM
the engine issues have been spun rod bearings.due to lack of oil. a bad intake gasket would not cause this problem. shawn

Tyler
10/21/2005, 07:53 AM
I had Isuzu check around as well as my mechanic and Isuzu found a "used" engine they could put in for $4,000. It has 60,000 mile and no warranty. Not going that route. Found a re-manufactured engine done by Jasper Engine and Transmision for $4,600 with a 3 year 75,000 mile warranty. Both Isuzu and my mechanic have high praise for the quality and workmanship of these engines. Jasper touts that they are better than a new. Its still alot of money but I will have peice of mind. Should have it in first week of November.

As far as the failure goes Isuzu engines are bullet proof if there properly maintained. This set back dosnt change my mind about the quality of Isuzu. I bought my Vehicross used and you can never tell how the previous owner kept it. Bottom line is I love the car and don't plan on getting rid of her.

Just removed and redid all the cladding in a Chevy Avalance grey before this happened, didnt even get the fuel door back on before it blew. I'll post some pics when I get it back. Was going to start repainting the body with 05 BMW Titanium Silver but looks like spring for that project now.