PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise on Front Shocks Installation

SwampBuggyMan
10/30/2005, 04:58 AM
I am still researching this, but it looks like many have installed their own front shocks. I believe I have a bad left front shock, it seems to bounce and its leaking from what I can tell.

Can someone please give a brief description on what I need to do to do this myself?

Update, I think I have read every post on shocks and because of that I am dizzy now. Still seems to be a lot of discussion on what is the best replacement shock. Does anyone have feedback on what the most common and best replacement shock is?

SPAZZ
10/30/2005, 12:41 PM
I can sell you a set if you want(I have 3 sets)...I am going SAS and have already removed my front axle. I do not believe I can use these for the SAS with SOA.

Hotsauce
10/30/2005, 01:14 PM
You need a couple of wrenches, ansd some string.

The wrenches are obvious, the string is to loop around the new shock to hold it compressed till its installed. The pressure in a new shock is pretty strong.

John C.

SPAZZ
10/30/2005, 01:44 PM
better be pretty darn strong string for a stock front shock...

but, it is better to just put some M A N into it and undo top nut and remove the spacers and bushing. Then, compress shock by applying steady pressure untill it does...when it moves far enough slip it out of the shock mount. Then undo bottom nut and remove bolt.
When you install replacement install bottom of shock by pushing shock into the lower mount and install bolt and tighten nut enough to where you still can move shock around. Then compress shock enough to slip it into the shock mount and put spacers, bushing, and nut back on...tighten. Bam...that easy!!!

SwampBuggyMan
10/30/2005, 05:37 PM
Do I take the wheels off, and do I have to use a jack?

I'm mechanically inclined really I just havent ever done a shock before.

Thanks

Hotsauce
10/30/2005, 09:03 PM
Take the wheel off. Support the truck by the frame and let the wheel go to full drop, this will minimise how much the shock needs compressing.

John C.

VehiGAZ
10/31/2005, 06:24 AM
Swamp,

Spazz's advice will work, unless you get the Bilstein 1738/1739's, which do not ship pre-compressed. Those and the Ranchos 9000s are the most popular choices for replacement shocks.

If you go with the Bilsteins (my recommendation), I have posted a how-to procedure here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=61420&postcount=30

But yes, you need to take the wheel off and lift it to get at the shock mount.

Good luck!

mbeach
10/31/2005, 08:26 AM
I agree with VehiGaz' statement on the Bilsteins -I have the Billis and the Ranchos and the Bilsteins are 100x better in every respect.

The will require some effort to compress, I suggest NOT using the crowbar method however.
If you have a copy of the maintenance CD (Tone's site), look for the shock removal/installation section. It details the use of a 'zip-tie', figure-8'd around the shock body to keep it compressed. Use a big zip-tie or two, and have a buddy help you compress the shock.

Holding the shock perpendicular to the ground and upside down, I put the upper (stud) mount on a piece of wood, and put all of my upper body weight onto the lower mount (I put a long bolt through the eyelet to help out my hands). I weigh just about 200 lbs, and after a few seconds the shock will move and compress to its shortest length. While holding the shock compressed, I had my wife loop the zip-tie around the shock body and over its 'shoulders'.
This is sufficient to keep the shock compressed for installation. Don't be tempted to run the zip-tie through the mounting eyelet, it'll damage the bushing and be difficult to remove.

SwampBuggyMan
11/01/2005, 05:10 AM
Thanks everyone and VehiGAZ as that guide is exactly what I needed. And the tips from mbeach will help.

Sounds like the Bilsteins are a good option.

Swamp

VehiGAZ
11/01/2005, 05:48 AM
No problem - glad we could help!

PS, I posted a while back that I was able to compare the Bilsteins (H1's all around) to Peewog's original stock shocks (with about 77k miles on them) and found them to be very, very comparable in stiffness and roll control - like about 97% as stiff as the originals. From everything people have posted about the adjustable Ranchos, they can be set to give a decent ride, but are not as stiff as the originals in even the stiffest setting.

Good luck with your shocks!

AnalogVX
11/01/2005, 02:21 PM
That's the beauty of Ranchos adjustable. Dial it to 1 and you can compress them easily!