PDA

View Full Version : Camber Questions

wrestler11
11/11/2005, 10:52 PM
So, I have a few questions about lifting the VX...again.

By the way, I finally bought myself my first VX! I got it a week ago and I'm fricken extatic!! ok...

#1: What exactly does SAS mean? I'm not sure I get the full concept of what SAS stands for.

#2: Also, I was told that with OME 912's in the rear, rancho9000 shocks all the way around and torsion bar twisting in the front you could achieve pretty good lift on your VX, however I was also warned by someone not affiliated with this site that twisting the Torsion bars in the front increases the camber of your tires, thus putting more wear on the outer edge and decreasing performance. Is this true? And if so is there a fix to this?

Thanks sooo much for your help, and here is a little info about my new VX:

1999 with 57,xxx miles, in damn good condition interior and almost perfect condition exterior, nothing at all wrong mechanically, and it has a warranty for another 3 years. I'll post pics soon.

transio
11/12/2005, 05:59 AM
#1 = "Scandinavian Auto Suppliers"?

#2 = True. Because of suspension geometry in modern cars (unequal length a arms), your wheels will usually tend to have positive camber if you simply lengthen the springs. I THINK you can simply correct the camber issue with reallignment, but even if that works, the suspension will not work as well as stock. Obviously the best way to do a lift is to lower the mounting points of your a-arms, or to replace them with other components.

Triathlete
11/12/2005, 10:27 AM
SAS is a Solid Axle Swap...removing the IFS (indipendent front suspension) and replacing it with a solid axle suspended by a link system or leaf springs. This is a poppular option form IFS equiped vehicles that are used for off road endeavers.

I have my VX lifted with OME912 springs (rear) and torsion bars turned in the front as do a number of others on this board. This acheives a 2.5-3 inch lift. I also did a ball joint flip. The ball joint flip allows more adjustability when getting an alighnment done. With a proper alighnment I have seen NO exsessive tire wear. They are wearing evenly.

Hope this helps and congrats on becoming one of the obsessed!