PDA

View Full Version : Question...

AlaskaVX
11/29/2005, 04:15 PM
A plane is standing on a runway that can move(some sorty of conveyer).The plane moves in one direction,while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction.The conveyer has a system that tracks the planes speed and adjusts the conveyer speed to the exact same speed as the plane but in the opposite direction.
question is
will the plane take off or not?will it beable to run up and take off?

BD-VX99
11/29/2005, 04:57 PM
No, lift is a function of air velocity (despite the wheels rolling at twice the speed). However, the conveyor would drag air with it and therefore create a small amount of wind in the opposite direction. I guess if you increased the speed enough you could drag enough wind to create lift but I highly doubt you you would ever be able to "drag" enough wind with the conveyor to allow the plane to take off (plus as soon as the plane gets out conveyor's wash it would plummit). Many automotive wind tunnels use moving floors and walls for the opposite reason (to simulate the walls being absent, and the vehicle moving at speed).

volume311
11/29/2005, 05:09 PM
oh man I thought I was having a deja vu of a nightmare. There's an exact same thread over on NASIOC that was started yesterday and blew up to +1800 posts including MS paint diagrams and what not. Beleive it or not the debate is still going on.

For the curious
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891480

mbeach
11/29/2005, 05:20 PM
I miss teh Nasioc OT. Sometimes.

Alan, where's that frequency? I'm getting some handhelds together for Caribou season and I want to get that freq on there as well.

transio
11/29/2005, 06:21 PM
A plane's speed is generated by air thrusting devices (props or turbines). The wheels are freely rotating. A conveyor running opposite the plane will only double its ground speed, but will not significantly alter the air speed (I say not significantly because there will be some "drag" caused by the minimal friction of the rolling wheels. For the most part it's irrelevant though). The air speed is what is required for take-off.

Similarly, a plane in high headwind can take off at very low ground speeds. I've taken my model planes down to the airfield on very windy days and taken off almost without moving (relative to the ground).

Edit: Bleh, NOW I see BD-VX99's post.

Triathlete
11/29/2005, 09:34 PM
Yes it can...

...if it is an AV8 Harrier! :yesy: :yesr: :yesg:

Bulldoggie
11/30/2005, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=transio]A plane's speed is generated by air thrusting devices (props or turbines). The wheels are freely rotating. A conveyor running opposite the plane will only double its ground speed, but will not significantly alter the air speed (I say not significantly because there will be some "drag" caused by the minimal friction of the rolling wheels. For the most part it's irrelevant though). The air speed is what is required for take-off.

Similarly, a plane in high headwind can take off at very low ground speeds. I've taken my model planes down to the airfield on very windy days and taken off almost without moving (relative to the ground).

A conveyor belt would only spin the wheels twice as fast as the thrust would move the plane forward even without the wheels. Some planes use skis as an example

Maugan_VX
11/30/2005, 03:50 PM
No it would not fly because the generation of lift is only possible with apparent wind flowing over the wing surfaces.

(unless its a harrier, in which case its a flying Microwave, or a North Carolina Lawn Dart)

Bulldoggie
11/30/2005, 04:38 PM
No matter how fast a conveyor travelled it would NOT stop the thrust from pushing the plane forward, unless it could excede the max. speed of the wheels or the wheels had brakes applied.
The trust would still push the plane forward, just as the thrust on a Harrier pointed downward is able to lift even if you took your hypothical conveyor and made it vertical and put the wheels of a harrier on it's nose the conveyor would only spin the wheel. the harrier would still climb because of it's thrust.

Not trying to offend

BD-VX99
11/30/2005, 05:51 PM
Bulldoggie

I don't think you could offend anyone by being correct. In theory, if the aircrafts wheels were frictionless then the conveyor would have absolutly no affect on the planes ability to run up the runway and take off (Inertia would keep the aircraft still (with engines off) regardless of conveyor speed). I was assuming in this case that the wheels did have friction and thus the conveyor would be able to exert force on the aircraft. Is the question asking whether or not the aircraft could take of standing still (conveyor speed increasing to keep the aircraft still)? or if the aircraft could take off with the conveyor matching the wheel speed (obviously yes, but in its regular distance)?

bobmumgaard
11/30/2005, 06:26 PM
A bicycle is on a treadmill and the treadmill runs at the same (but opposite rate) as the bicycle's speed (same situation as a runner on a treadmill, but riding a bike). Is the bike easy to ride?

volume311
11/30/2005, 08:53 PM
Yea, the gyro-effect of the wheels keeps it balanced and since there's no drag, yea easier me thinks. The only opposing forces would be from the bike parts bearings/chain/tires low on air

psychos2
12/01/2005, 05:28 AM
here is the answer (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/191034-1.html)

mbeach
12/01/2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the link -my head was starting to ache.

Maugan_VX
12/01/2005, 03:50 PM
yeah after I posted that I gave it some more thought because the solution to the "riddle" was a bit too simplistic.

It would be a different story if the wheels powered the forward thrust or it was a car :)

transio
12/01/2005, 04:30 PM
It would be a different story if the wheels powered the forward thrust or it was a car :)Not necessarily. Some planes (like biplanes) can maintain lift even when the wings are stalled (no positive airflow) because they have huge props pushing large amounts of air over big wing surfaces. That wouldn't be a riddle, though, but an engineering problem. I'd be interested to see a biplane do a stalled 0mph take-off. That would rock! :)

transio
12/01/2005, 04:33 PM
A conveyor belt would only spin the wheels twice as fast as the thrust would move the plane forward even without the wheelsI'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but that's pretty much exactly what I said (or was trying to say).

Bulldoggie
12/02/2005, 07:39 AM
here is the answer (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/191034-1.html)
Thanks for the link I could not word it better
And I was quoting Transio in agreement

transio
12/02/2005, 09:00 AM
And I was quoting Transio in agreementOK... upon rereading my post, I realized it was ambiguously worded, so I wanted to make sure. :)