PDA

View Full Version : Considering moded VX

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone!
I've wanted a VehiCross since they first came out, or at least since I first saw one in Car & Driver. I believe the article described it as a dirt bike on 4 wheels!
Anyway, I just found one in my area that I can afford.
It's had several modifications: SUPER CHARGER BY ALPINE, AIR INTAKE SYSTEM, VAC. BOOST GAUGE, AIR/FUEL GAUGE, BELTRONICS VECTOR FX2 PERFORMANCE TIMER.
I am in no way an expert on moded vehicles and I was just wondering what you guys thought.
I'm guessing that mods void the warranty.
In your opinion would it be a safer bet, as far as reliability, to buy a stock VehiCross instead?
Thanks,
John

link: http://carmart-usa.ebizautos.com/detail.aspx?iid=835198

Cyrk
12/21/2005, 08:49 AM
Hey that is Machine VX. Did not know he was selling it? How come bud?

Edit: it is a NICE VX, has all the goodies... but I would rather by a stock one and do the mods myself.

transio
12/21/2005, 09:07 AM
Cyrk,

Looks like he traded it in for something. CarMart looks to be a used car shop.

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 09:13 AM
I just e-mailed him with a few questions.

There is also a stock one in town right now for $1000 more and a few less miles.

I read a vague statement on carsurvey.org that there's a possibility of catastrophic engine failure at 50,000 miles?
Does anyone know what that's about?
Thanks.

thedutchguy
12/21/2005, 09:30 AM
As soon as your counter passes the 49.999 miles, your engine blows! :yesy: :yesy:

But seriously if you want to drive safely with no hassles, buy a Toyota!
Don't look at VX's and definitely no supercharged ones.

Come on! Isuzu Rocks!

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 09:52 AM
Well right now I have a 3000GT so "safety" is not my top priority ;)
I was thinking of buying a 68' Mercedes this weekend when I stumbled on the VX.

I called about the other one, the waranty expires next April... so?

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 10:27 AM
I think I'm going to look at the non-modified one tonight and go from there.

I'm wondering though, what kind of wear and tear does a supercharger do to the engine? Does anyone have an opinion on this subject? I'll ask this question in the modified section too.

transio
12/21/2005, 12:29 PM
The alpine supercharger shouldn't wear the engine much, if at all. IIRC, it's only pushing 5-8 psi.

Ruflyf
12/21/2005, 12:52 PM
Johnny
My vx has had a alpine sc (previously installed) for about 25k miles or more, and it doesnt seem to have hurt it at all. After learning how it works I dont really think it adds any premature wear to the engine. Overall I am very happy with mine being a sc'd vx. But I must admit I also received the original head, etc., to make it stock again if I ever chose to; which was somewhat comforting.

When I bought mine, I was told make sure you dont forget to change the sc oil and it'll be fine....so far so good.

Btw, thats a very nice looking vx, and seems to be a very good price...assuming a good mechanic gives it a thumbs up.

hope that helps a little

Ruf

POSTED THIS ON YOUR OTHER POST BUT FIGURED I"D REPOST SINCE THIS ONE IS TAKING OFF AND THE OTHER ISNT.

HEY DUTCHGUY I SENT YOU A PM

Raque Thomas
12/21/2005, 02:17 PM
The supercharger is well over $3000 installed - with that and all the other mods, I'd jump on it if you think you'd ever want more power than the stock engine puts out!

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 06:05 PM
I just got back from test driving it... it was nice and quick and that MoFo looks nice w/the hood scoop!.
The exhuast was really loud though, seems to have a bad leak.
They wouldn't let me use their lift but I'll take it somewhere and have it looked at before buying it. There's a CarX accross the street... not sure though, useually they are full of kids just out of school.

I also test drove a 01 VX with 62,000 miles. It was also nice.
They want $700 less but it's got 12,000 more miles. It was yellow, I didn't think I'd like the yellow but when I saw it... it looked pretty sharp.

Tomorrow morning I'm calling the shop that Machine VX had the sc installed and see if I can get any info from them. I feel a little safer about it haveing talked a little to Machine.

I also test drove a WRX just for fun! Zippy little car but out of my price range.

Thanks for the info Ruflyf!
That's what I wanted to hear.
Do you know the amout of hp the engine put's out now?

Ruflyf
12/21/2005, 06:12 PM
I was told mine is just under 300hp with the powervault muffler also installed

Johnnyh66
12/21/2005, 06:16 PM

NICE.

All right, I'm headed to the bar for a beer and some pool.
I'll post updates tomorrow.
Thanks for your help everyone!

Nazrat
12/21/2005, 06:29 PM

Which based on the most recent dyno results may be a touch high. It's hard to estimate the crank horsepower given that these trucks have TOD and an automatic. The latest posted results do make me wish that I had had that truck dyno'd, just for my own curiosity. Even if it isn't 300, it's enough for me to want TOD or some very sticky tires :)

-Tad

Ruflyf
12/21/2005, 06:54 PM
Tad, I have been curious about that as well, I may find a place here locally to get it dyno'd. Any idea what an average cost would be?

Cyrk
12/21/2005, 10:32 PM
I paid 55 for 3 dyno pulls...

Johnnyh66
12/27/2005, 07:48 AM
Well, it doesn't look good for me at this point.
The best financing I could get is 9.25, along with my measly $2000 down would make the truck just over $20,000 when it's paid off.
So, unless I find a buyer for my 3000GT right now... it looks like I'll have to put off the VX till next year. I'll keep saveing my pennies till then... although I do think I'll buy that 68 Mercedes for now, sell the 3000GT for a decent price then sell the MB when I'm ready to buy the VX... and that should do it.

Thanks for your help everyone. See you soon.... I hope!

transio
12/27/2005, 08:11 AM
Johnny,

Sorry it didn't work out for ya! Which Mercedes are you looking at?

The 300SL of the 50's is one of my favorite cars of all time!!! :D

Johnnyh66
12/27/2005, 12:03 PM
The MB is a 230, 4 door, 6 cyl w/dual carbs... it's a fin tail.
I love the coupe fintails but they usually run around $20,000.
I like the sl's too.
I also like the 70's 450 SLC's and love, love the 80's 500/560 SEC's.

I almost bought an 83 AMC Eagle SX/4 a few weeks back. The guy was telling me all the mods he did to it: bigger cam, road racing trans... I was just about to drive the 50 miles out there in the snow when he suddenly tells me the car hasn't run in 1.5 years!

Cars are my addiction!
But like any junky, I can't really afford my habit :(

Karin
12/31/2005, 03:00 AM
Still want one? Check mine out. It's for sale!
'01 Ebony - 86000 miles - still under warranty.
It's posted on vehicles for sale.
Karin