PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty on VX

Elric
12/23/2005, 09:44 PM
Merry Christmas! khm...Happy Holidays! ah...whatever :)

I have recently aquired VX (see info) with 5,000 miles from a car collector located in MA. The mileage is legit and the car is in pristine condition both inside and outside. No modifications. I got it for $17.5K. Whether I overpaid or paid too little will never be known :) Recently, a friend of mine offered me his Audi A6 (2000 with 50K miles) at a VERY low price. He didn't get work visa so he is forced to leave the country. I certainly understand that I compare apples and oranges here so I am yet to figure out what to do and what car to keep. Both vehicles offer a lot and neither one of them is super reliable :) I spent last three weeks going through this board and Audi-related forums. I will certainly make a decision sooner than later but there is a point that I would like to raise and humbly ask for the word of wisdom from the fellow VXers :)

This VX was manufactured in 2001 and it is eligible for bumper-to-bumper coverage on the following terms: IF purchased before the end of the year $2,400 gives the owner a piece of mind for 4 years / 100,000 miles whatever comes first. The warranty includes optional emissions package that, in turn, includes infamous EGP valve :) It is provided by Warranty Direct www.warrantydirect.com which I found to be the best out there with good BBB rating (not that it matters a lot) and good rep among auto owners. Alas, hood insert is not covered :) If, however, the owner gets the warranty on 01/01/2006 then it will be $1,750 for 3 years / 36,000 miles since vehicle is out of the 5 year bracket so to speak. Both warranty plans are refundable on pro-rata basis and transferrable as well for $50 fee.

So I was thinking to buy the warranty since time is running out. If I decide to keep VX, bumper-to-bumper warranty will come handy (I have a feeling it will). If I decide to sell VX, warranty can be transferred to the new owner or cancelled and refunded. That's the scoop people. Do you think that (if VX goes on sale) potential owner will find it advantageous to have this kind of protection considering that s(he) will not be able to purchase this type of warranty on her/his own? Will it be a good selling point if it comes to that?

Any suggestions, comments, ideas? :)

I thank you all in advance!!!

VehiGAZ
12/24/2005, 07:39 AM
I think it is a good selling point, and if the new owner is not interested, they don't have to pay for the transfer.

I bought my VX about a year ago and bought a Nissan warranty that bought me 3 years and 48k miles of coverage. I didn't know anything about the VX's reliability at the time, so I figured it was a good idea to get it (especially since I absolutely HATE paying for repairs on an older vehicle!), and I thought the same thing - if I hate the truck, and decied to sell it, having the warranty would be a good selling point.

A thought on the reliability of these two vehicles...

Audis seem to be either flawless or mechanically cursed, with not a lot of in-between. of the 5 or 6 Audi A4s owned by people I work with, all but one have been trouble-free, but that one has been a nightmare.

I read this site everyday, and although you hear about every problem that comes up, you also have to keep it in perspective that you are getting a lot more exposure to the these problems than you would otherwise, so you might get a negative impression about the reliability of the VX. I don't think more than one or two owners here will put their VX's in the "mechanically cursed" category, which is a LOT more than you could say of the Audi owners.

Good luck!

mbeach
12/24/2005, 10:48 AM
I have recently aquired VX (see info) with 5,000 miles ... I got it for $17.5K. Whether I overpaid or paid too little will never be known :)

I see half a dozen A6s on the way to work everyday (and the nearest Audi dealer is 350 miles away), while they are fantastic cars, you have found the Holy Grail of VehiCROSSes in many's opinion.
The Kaiser silver with red/black interior is quite rare, and the price was outstanding. Consider the fact that you paid roughly 50% of what the car cost only 5000 miles ago.

I vote for passion and individualism. I say keep the VX, poop on the warranty (if you keep the mileage low, it'll always have a buyer).