PDA

View Full Version : fuel efficiency question

bigvxfan
01/03/2006, 12:18 AM
i really liked the vx since it first came out on the us market, and now i finally have the financial means to get one... however, in reading up on the vehicle, it struck me that the vx is pretty hard on the gas! i have a 30 miles drive to work, and it seems like the vx will not be the best vehicle to be a daily driver!? what type of gas does the vx run on? is the vx comparable in fuel efficiency to other suvs? how are vx owners dealing with the fuel efficiency issue?

Elric
01/03/2006, 12:55 AM
Manual states regular fuel - 87 octane number. Mileage WILL vary depending on how heavy is your foot and your driving preferences. SUVs run through fuel when driver accelerates sharply...just like a sport car. 30 miles on a highway and 30 miles in a city will make a difference :)

bigvxfan
01/03/2006, 12:58 AM
thanks...
i have a 30 miles commute on a rural highway with twisty roads....
even on empty roads, it is very rare that i will drive 10 over posted limits
how do these facts change the equation??

Elric
01/03/2006, 01:06 AM
Somebody had a calculation stating 20-22mpg at 55mph speed that was proven in real driving. Cruise controls helps naturally. Twisted roads though worsen the situation so, I guess, 16-18mpg depending in AC use/winds/etc...I am sure others can give more detailed answers...

Cabana Boy
01/03/2006, 05:53 AM
Only had mine for a week, and had the same concern, especially since ours is supercharged....Filled it on the way home just this morning; 224 miles 13.42 gallons. About 16.5mpg. Very little highway, but lots of 45 and 50 mph rural twisty roads, as I must follow a shoreline to get the boy back and forth to school, practices etc. Sure I'm a bit of a lead foot too since its new to me, and my son is always egging me on. I'd guess one could add one or two mpg to the above without the forced intake. All in all I'd say thats pretty good. Could probably get a few again better with some nondescript SUV but choose not to. Good Luck!

VehiGAZ
01/03/2006, 06:33 AM
BigVXfan, count on 2 gallons each way as an all-year average, and you'll be close enough. Your best mileage will be come when you're running in the 50 mph range, which is what you will probably be doing, judging from your description of the roads.

Chopper
01/03/2006, 04:49 PM
averaged just a tick better than 21 this last tank---best yet. This is flat Fla., and most is done at 50 or so on rural roads, with Mobil one lubes everywhere,and K&N filters,etc. etc. . Still 21 overall ain't bad. Hitting it's groove now (20000 miles) I guess. I was getting like 13 at first. That was a little distressing, considering what I could be driving in that milage range

Elric
01/03/2006, 07:21 PM
would you attribute improved fuel efficiency to Mobil 1 oil and different air filters?

ZEUS
01/04/2006, 02:42 PM
I seem to get around 13 all the time - in town, and traveling down the highway with cruise control in a headwind (it's Wyoming)! It's driving me crazy and broke. I have drastically reduced the lead portions in my foot because of it, so it looks like this tank might give me 15 mpg if I'm lucky. The reason I didn't buy a Sierra Denali with 4-wheel steering is because I was worried about the fuel consumption - they get more like 18 come to find out! That is from a 6.0 V8!!! What gives? I should be getting 18 mpg from a 3.5 V6 with 40,000 miles, easy! Anybody out there have suggestions on how to improve my mileage or what problems to check for that could cause such horrible "efficiency"???

VCAMILO
01/04/2006, 04:41 PM
I drive 3 miles each way and I average about 10-12 in city driving mode... 13-15 when Im on the highway. I have bigger tires and lift. I like to drive fast but have slowed down due to &#@*! cops!

WormGod
01/05/2006, 07:57 AM
I drive 30 miles one way every day on rural-to-highway roadways (60 miles daily) and my results vary heavily. Take into consideration traffic, how heavy your foot is, and mods.

I span from 250-340 miles on a full tank and gas up once a week generally. IMO, I dont think the VX is the best commuter, so I am looking for as second car to hold that position. The VX will be a perfect weekend driver for me. ;)

MrCrowley
01/05/2006, 11:04 AM
The most signifigant mileage increase i noticed was running Amsoil synthetic lube in the differentials. AWD seems to get a better response from less driveline resistance. The Trooper got the same treatment, and didnt see the increase. It can run 2wd rear only unlike the VX.

mudeater34
01/05/2006, 08:14 PM
We have driven from Colorado to IL and back, and to NJ, NY, MD and back. Best is 16, worst is 13. We have a gnarley rack on top that I am sure does not help. We have tried driving faster, slower, cruise, no crusie, and have not seen much change. We just broke 40K on the '00.

Dare2Dream
01/07/2006, 12:24 AM
Chopper, how on earth you get such good mpg? I've never heard such good numbers, you are lucky!!

MrCrowley
01/07/2006, 06:48 AM
i guess sea level air density trumps the other factors except lead foot!

VehiGAZ
01/09/2006, 06:14 AM
Talk about timing - pick up the Feb issue of Car and Driver magazine for an editorial on how driving habits & style affect mileage. The context of the editorial is about hybrid vs. non-hybrid versions of the same model, but that doesn't matter.

PS - warmer weather makes for better mileage, as most of us must have noticed. I don't know whether it is the higher temperature of the air or the lower density the vehicle has to push through, but this rule has been constant on every car I have ever driven.

mbeach
01/09/2006, 08:38 AM
My mileage plunges dramatically in the sub-zero temperature range.
It is a combination of three things:
1. Denser air (at -30, the air is super dense!), the truck needs more fuel to maintain the proper fuel/air ratio.
2. Thick fluids in the diffs and transmission/transfer case. I have heaters on everything but the diffs, and I know that they thicken up when cold. This drags on the gears and creates friction.
3. Idling. This is the big one. I let our trucks run for 5 to 10 minutes before even moving them out of the driveway. This translates into 0 mpg.

As it stands, I am refilling every 230-240 miles. I really haven't math'd out the mileage, because I don't want to know.
It'll go back up in the spring.

SPAZZ
01/09/2006, 11:55 AM
my VX new untill like 10 or 12,000 miles got 400 miles per tank then 300...then 200...that was like 10 miles per gallon highway and less city.

Then I modded the crap out of it and now it gets about 13MPG. I agree...I shoulda bought the biggest V8 Turbo Diesel Truck I coulda bought for the same price of the VX and got better mileage.
Replaced everything from Fuel filters, MAF, O2 sensors, Pcv, cleaned EGR, manifold gaskets, ECU, coils, etc..you name it.... even installed 4.56 axle gears. I have never got the original mileage back only inproved the down fall with mods.

The VX has been my worst financial investment, but my best hobby/mental investment

VehiGAZ
01/09/2006, 02:51 PM
Don't forget about the confounding effects of local and seasonal differences in fuel formulations - that will introduce a significant variability in what mileage different drivers will get. Not to mention changes in formulations gas over time (for example, they used to put MTBE in our gas here in CT, then they switched to ethanol. I don't know which would give me better fuel economy, but I'm SURE the two additives give me different mileage).

Bottom line - don't get hung up on differences between your observed mileage and the mileage someone else says they get, because there are too many variables you can't account for to make it a useful comparison.

WormGod
01/10/2006, 07:23 AM
Ya, I think I am finding out MANY things these past few weeks around. I started going to a newly opened Sunoco since my Exxon closed its doors, and I am getting MUCH less mileage now. Last week I got 185 miles on a single full tank. This week is looking much the same. That is down DRAMATICALLY. I figure that this SUnoco is buying some crappy, wholesale fuel that is probably 80% water and not only am I getting worse mileage with it, but I am also rusting my engine from inside out, heh. Starting next fill up, I am gonna try another station and see what I get.

The blowjob of it all, it's just the VX that creates the fuel economy situation. It's also the penny pinching gas stations that want to rob you.

Velvis
01/10/2006, 09:41 AM
Flatlander with fresh gas right out of the Gulf -- 380+ miles per tank. '01 VX K&N, synth lubes, and cool stuff from Tone.

Joe_Black
01/10/2006, 07:38 PM
Woohoo! Drove the 120+K mile '99 IronMan to Miami and back today and got 431 miles out of the first tank! Filled up at 60/95 in Vero and topped with 20.8 gallons. When the odometer started getting close to 400 I started thinking "please break 400 so I can post!". LOL! ;)

Oh, the first leg to Pompano was even towing a small utility trailer. :p

VehiGAZ
01/11/2006, 07:33 AM
431 km???

I just can't believe you got that kind of mileage, and with a trailer, too.

WormGod
01/11/2006, 07:37 AM
You know what would be REALLY useful.... an average MPG of each owner here with access to their mods list. We should compile some sort of variable table to see if we can determine "which mods hurt fuel economy more" and which "aid fuel economy".

Sound useful? Anyone have the means of doing this?

I just hit 1/4 of a tank when I reached work this morning and I have only gone 148 miles. !@#$%!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what's up, cause she is running smoother than ever.

Joe_Black
01/11/2006, 08:33 AM
431 km???

I just can't believe you got that kind of mileage, and with a trailer, too.
Well, it's not typical. Usually this one gets 350+ consistently, so I was really watching the odometer and fuel gauge on the trip back. Cool weather, tail-winds, whatever... it was a real treat. :)

This IronMan has always intrigued me as to how much better it performs than any other 3.5L I've had. I got it off eBay with 99,500 miles on it and it's peppier and consistently gets better mileage than my bought-new '01 VX or the '01 2WD Trooper we just sold. The only non-stock driveline goodies are a K&N drop-in filter and all Mobil-1 lubricants througout. This is just one of those vehicles where the planets and stars were all in alignment during assembly. ;)

blacksambo
01/11/2006, 08:41 PM
I guess the only way to sort out all this variation is to get several of these VX's on a dyno and test under identical circumstances? Does anybody have a dyno they want to donate for this test?