PDA

View Full Version : Transfering of Factory Warranty?

Boogieman
01/05/2006, 06:33 PM
I'm loking at a 2001 Vehicross for sale at a Toyota dealership not far from me. Since it's got about 54,000 miles on it, I asked about the remaining factory warranty. He said yep, up to 100,000, but that I would need to get it from an Isuzu dealer and that they cannot sell it to me with a warranty. Anyone know about this or how this works? Any truth to this? Anyone know what the costs would be to get the rest of the factory warranty?
Thanks for the help. I'm getting excited about owning one.
Keith

mbeach
01/05/2006, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry to say, but the long (100k) warranty is only transferrable to immediate family members.

You can log on to Isuzu's website, follow the "owners" links and find your way to a very good warranty "decoder."

It's not so bad, being without a warranty, as Isuzu America is generally a PITA to deal with on warranty fixes.
Make the dealer throw in a (decent) aftermarket powertrain warranty.

Joe_Black
01/05/2006, 09:18 PM
In addition to the 10 year/100K mile warranty that was available to original purchasers or their immediate family, there is still the basic powertrain warranty of 5 years/60K miles irregardless of ownership.

But as mbeach says, Isuzu America isn't worth their weight as fertilizer. :p

mbeach
01/06/2006, 08:34 AM
Another thing that you may want to research is the vehicle's "in-service date."

This is available from any Isuzu dealer -just give them the VIN. This is the day that the vehicle first went to private hands (from Isuzu).
If the date is earlier than 6 January 01, then you are beyond your warranty already, regardless of mileage.
There were many VXs sold late in the year, (cost, looks, whatever, kept them on dealer lots) and as a result it is still possible to buy a 2001 that is still under the 5 year mark. E.g., my wife's Dragon does not hit its 60 months until 9 September 06.

Joe is selling an outstanding example, maybe he could adopt you and transfer the 100k warranty?

Anita
01/06/2006, 09:33 AM
In addition to the 10 year/100K mile warranty that was available to original purchasers or their immediate family, there is still the basic powertrain warranty of 5 years/60K miles irregardless of ownership.

But as mbeach says, Isuzu America isn't worth their weight as fertilizer. :p

Joe, actually the warranty for limited powertrain is 10 year/ 120K miles. :p I want my extra 20K!

Joe_Black
01/06/2006, 12:01 PM
Joe, actually the warranty for limited powertrain is 10 year/ 120K miles. :p I want my extra 20K!
Umm, yeah, knew there was a reason I avoid math. :rolleyes:

Mine has almost 2 years and 24K miles left on just the basic warranty. As for the big warranty, if it's gonna break it'll be before then. Otherwise most Isuzu products are easily good for over 250K miles with decent maintenance.