PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Clunk

bobmumgaard
01/08/2006, 08:07 PM
Alright, got some issues with some suspension noise..

A few weeks ago I took out my front axle and installed Darlington diff drop brackets (which fit very well if anybody is interested) and now I have a noise.

About the noise:
It sounds like something is moving around, shaking, not a rattle but bigger. It sounds like I hung a weight from my car, and when i go over bumps it pounds up and down alittle. It is really hard to describe! It's not a terribly alarming sound, maybe a sound I would expect a '77 3/4 pickup to make, but not a little 1999 isuzu.

It's not rythmic, it can't really be felt in the steering wheel, and it doesn't matter what speed I go as long as the bump is big enough. I got under the vx several times and checked everything and nothing is out of place.

I retorqued all the bolts I removed and checked them several times, and no... I didn't have any parts left over after the install :p

Any Ideas what this could be??

I was thinking a loose ball joint and my wheel bearings are pretty bad but other than that I have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated

bobmumgaard

Triathlete
01/08/2006, 08:13 PM
Check and see if your front drive shaft shows any signs of hitting any of the cross members or skid plates (if you have any). I bent a skid plate once and had a noise when I accelerated on a climb or hit a bump.

mbeach
01/08/2006, 08:24 PM
Also check for freshly scraped metal in the vicinity of your exhaust piping.

psychos2
01/09/2006, 04:54 AM
i had one of the front shocks come loose and make a clunking noise. shawn