PDA

View Full Version : New VXer / Long-time`Zu Owner...

E-ZooZoo One
01/29/2006, 02:18 AM
Hello All!

I’ve been a member here for quite a while now - but I finally went legit a few days ago…

http://bombasticfx.com/SmileyVX-2.jpg

Found a `99 Astral Silver, Red/Black – in need of some TLC, but overall in amazing condition inside and out…
(it’s the underside that will require some serious attention).

I’ll be adding a set of REVOs on Tuesday. --- And I’ve already done my first repair…
I’m guessing that I'm probably among the very first that’s had to replace this:

http://bombasticfx.com/VX-PS-1.gif

Mine failed just 3-hours after signing the papers! :_mecker:

Like I said, it needs a little TLC – but I’m looking forward to having it for many years to come!

Oh yeah - and I've already been initiated into the ‘Bleeding Cranium Club’ after standing straight-up into the driver's-side hood spike, and seeing nothing but stars ;eekg; :laughing:

Joe_Black
01/29/2006, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the owner's ring Smiley! Still got your other rig? Hopefully we'll make it back up to Uwharrie sometime and see y'all again! ;)

E-ZooZoo One
01/29/2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the ‘official’ welcome! :cool:

Still got your other rig?
You betcha! - Although right now it's in need of a D-44 to replace the one that's more-or-less beyond all hope :rolleyes: but I've got a line on one, and have no intention of letting the beast go any time soon...

The VX will assume the daily-driver & long-distance travel duties around here, thereby freeing-up the Rodeo to get a little bit more extreme over the next couple of years. --- Right now I'm kinda on the horns of a dilemma, deciding between going SAS or installing 2 ARBs + a winch & custom bumper (in about another year-and-a-half or so)... We shall see.

Hopefully we'll make it back up to Uwharrie sometime and see y'all again!
The next one will be APRIL 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - at Arrowhead Campground! (Hint-hint!) ;)

I'll be sure to post a link soon.

BumbleV-X
01/29/2006, 06:00 PM
Way to go Smiley! I knew the post you wrote when you test drove one a while a go was a clincher (another website). Congratulations! Welcome to the 2 Zu family. Now to get them both to Moab in May. :smilewink Both of our Zu's are our daily drivers. Swordy drives the VX, and I drive the Amigo. (Not one of those diven a Ford lately kinda family)

Congratulations again!
Deby
aka See-Migo on 4x4 wire

MZ-N10
01/29/2006, 07:26 PM
yes welcome

E-ZooZoo One
01/30/2006, 11:42 AM
...I knew the post you wrote when you test drove one a while a go was a clincher (another website).
Well, that makes ONE of us... (This is the very same VX, BTW)

The first time that I looked at it, I was pretty worried about all of the rust that it had in the engine compartment, along with a couple of other spots - and the broken speedometer/odometer - and the *THUNK* it makes when shifting into gear - and the... (You get the idea) --- But somehow-or-another, once the price dropped, all of its flaws became curiously forgivable.

Now to get them both to Moab in May. :smilewink
I truly hope to make it out there (eventually) in the Rodeo - but I'm betting that Miss Kathy will take steps to keep the VX here in WV... like maybe chaining herself to it, or putting a lock-boot on one of the tires! :_cop:

AlaskaVX
01/30/2006, 02:27 PM
Hey, welcome!!!!!!!

Well I have replaced a few parts but that hasn't been on the list....yet. So what is making the VX underside in such bad condition?

OK...... so...... what rigs do you have? A Rodeo, VX, and a Trooper? Which one are you replaceing a D44 on, and whats wrong/what did you do? I am researching axles for my new venture of the LS-1 VX. I am new to an axle swap and doing research on everything and am unsure on the D44's strength. Any suggestions on what axle you wish you went with? I am breaking WAAAYYY too many CV's with my current setup and they are expensive puppies with the VX. And the last thing I want is to swap in another axle that keeps breaking on me. It's cold and I don't have a garage. ;)

E-ZooZoo One
01/30/2006, 03:42 PM
...So what is making the VX underside in such bad condition?
The first owner's fear of getting carwash overspray on his wingtips, I guess. :rolleyes:

He used it to commute back-and-forth along one of the most salted sections of Interstate in the entire country... a 7-mile-long, 8-percent grade on I-77, in West Virginia... often (by all evidence) at 70+ mph - and apparently NEVER ONCE sprayed-off the engine compartment or undercarriage - As far as I can tell, he just did the body whenever it looked like it needed it, and kept the interior showroom-spotless.

It's going to take some love... But I'll get there. --- Besides, none of it is so bad that I can't either fix it or live with it.

OK...... so...... what rigs do you have? A Rodeo, VX, and a Trooper?
Isuzu-wise?

1997 Rodeo: 3" + 3" ~ 32" MT/Rs ~ LockRight ~ Tera Lows ~ Rock Bars ~ ETC.
1999 VX: Salvaged Power Steering Tube ~ New Floor Mats ~ a new piece of (perfectly matching!) Red & Black Luggage to keep stuff from flying around in the back.

No Trooper (not yet).

Which one are you replaceing a D44 on, and whats wrong/what did you do?
The Rodeo.

As best as I can tell - after replacing the outer bearings once, less than a year ago (and they're already shot again)... it looks like the cause of the problem is a little deeper... Probably the dif carrier bearings, and a nearly exploded ring & pinion too. --- It's not even drivable; not really... not safely anyhow!

I'm simply going to swap-in another 1996-97 Rodeo axle in its place and be done with it... Oh yeah - that, and I'll probably switch from a LockRight to an AUSSIE :D

Any suggestions on what axle you wish you went with?
I'm still IFS... This is the REAR Factory axle that's giving me trouble - and like I said above (more due to the width than anything else), I guess I'm just gonna dance with the one that brung me.

I've had my suspicions ever since we got the Rodeo, that there was already something wrong with the axle - I'm thinking that one of the two previous owners (most likely the first, in Colorado) probably towed something semi-frequently that was entirely too heavy, and did so on some nasty-steep grades (like say: The Rocky Mountains). --- It's never felt quite right... yet STILL it has proven itself as the best & most durable 4x4 I've ever owned!

It's cold and I don't have a garage. ;)
Me either - But somehow I'm guessing it's a wee-bit nippier in Alaska than here ;)

Good luck with yours!

AlaskaVX
01/30/2006, 04:17 PM
Ahhhhhhh read that wrong, I have been researching front axles too much, didn't even thinkof the factory D44 rear. :_brickwal Thought you had to be talking about the "other rig" since you were debating SASing the Rodeo.

As for the SAS or ARB... I would go SAS instead of the ARB's first. Then you won't have to buy/setup 3 lockers, and maybe save you in front end breakage $ as well.

BumbleV-X
01/30/2006, 09:45 PM
Smiley,

My 98 Amigo came stock with a rear d44. Didn't most of the Rodeo's of that era? I thought they were basically the same components.

As far as Moab this year I don't think either one of our Zu's is going this year. We're having driver issues. Swordy is still suffering back problems from his accident last April, and I just went on my first car drive (3 miles max) since my surgery last week. I'm down for at least 7 more weeks, which kinda makes it difficult to ask the boss for time off a month and a half later.

Rust? OMG do I know rust. California native here..... Swordy and I purchased our first Amigo (91) on E-bay from Ohio. WHAT DO THEY DO BACK EAST? PARK IN LAKES? When I was hit on the freeway (it was totalled) 6 months later I was afraid to look at the impact sight in fear that all I would see is a pile of rust. I didn't, Swordy had added the thickest bumper, and skid plate that all I found was a REALLY messed up Honda. :p

Keep us posted on the rust and repairs though.

Hey... wasn't it Ms. K that was in that bad accident awhile back? She messed up her foot I believe in her mothers car. How is her recovery?

Deby