PDA

View Full Version : Code PO442 and readiness after the computer reset

Dean68
01/29/2006, 09:07 AM
How long does it take for a reset computer to be "ready" for emissions testing?

After I got the PO442 code, I replaced the gas cap because it was a cheap fix and I needed to get an emission inspection because I recently purchased the VX. The CEL didn't turn off, even after driving for several days so I did the disconnect of the 3 plugs under the cover below the disc changer. The CEL went off and reappeared after I had used about 3/4 of a tank of gas. I didn't get the code read again because I guessed that it was the same code again. I then did the unplug/replug trick again to clear the light. I drove about 50 miles and then went for an emissions inspection. It failed because the computer was "not ready" due to the clearing of the codes I did 50 miles ago. Some of the catagories were ready but the catalyst, evap system, and O2 sensor were not.

How long does it take for all of these to be ready for emissions testing? I now have driven for probably 130 miles since resetting. The CEL is still off but how do I know if I have driven enough for emissions testing?

Thanks

Dean
'01 silver vx
St. Louis, MO

psychos2
01/29/2006, 06:00 PM
i drove for a couple weeks and it was fine.but i do not know how many miles. i do not know if it goes by miles or by succesful cold starts.i know that is what it goes by to clear the code when you do not reset the computer. the place you got it tested should know. i would start there first. shawn

Dean68
01/31/2006, 04:56 AM
I spoke to an Isuzu dealer and they said it would probably take 4-8 days to go through enough complete drive cycles. One drive cycle is requires starting up, driving some unknown highway distance, some unknown city distance and then a complete cooldown before doing it again. Rinse, repeat.

I went back last night for another inspection and now only 3 segments of the system were considered "not ready". I am concerned that once I hit the right number of cycles, the CEL will come back on and show a PO442 (EVAP Emission Control System leak, small).

If it wasn't the gas cap, what else should I check? I just bought the VX and I think the engine was steam cleaned. Is there something that could have been damaged? My girlfriend has a New Beetle and said that she remembered some Beetle forum said to clean the PCV.

Any ideas?

Dean
2001 VX
St. Louis, MO

Dean68
02/05/2006, 09:26 AM
My VX finally passed on its 6th emissions test. I got some drive cycle requirements from a dealer that helped. I don't know if anyone has seen the requirements before, but they are very specific about required conditions and steps needed to make the computer ready for emissions testing through the ODBCII connection. I have a PDF file but I don't think I can post a PDF here. I can probably post it as a .jpg tomorrow if anyone wants to see the drive cycle requirements for:

-EGR monitor drive trace
-Enhanced Evaporative system monitor drive trace
-Oxygen sensor monitor drive trace

Just let me know if you want to see them.

Dean
2001 VX
St. Louis, MO