PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Owner Ruins Transmission

Leah
02/03/2006, 07:19 PM
And I am that idiot! Oh, I am so mad at myself. We have had standard transmissions for so long, I had no clue that I had to flush the VX tranny every 30k or so miles and as far as I know, it was never done, not even one time in 105,500 miles!!! (I heard your collective gasp! And now I can hear you all discussiong how I should be banned from this website and my VX should be taken from me and my hands should be slapped. Hard!) I don't know how many times I have taken my truck in (to various places we trusted) to have it serviced, handed the tech the owner's manual open to the page of listed items to be done at x number of miles, but apparently, no one else saw "Flush transmission" on that list - ever! Now Isuzu tells me the transmission is clanking because it's ruined and I need a new one. Can somebody please help me and tell me what to do and where to go - I heard that!

transio
02/03/2006, 07:32 PM
Leah,

The tranny flush is supposed to be a part of the 30k service. I don't know why they didn't do it at those intervals! That really sucks! I think you can get a transmission from any old Trooper. Considering that you're more comfortable with a stick shift, though, you might want to look for compatible manual transmissions that you can slap in! :)

Leah
02/03/2006, 07:37 PM
Slap is right, but it's my face that should be...slapped, that is. Will the Trooper transmission work with the VX's power and winter drive modes and TOD? Also, does the length of the vehicle have any bearing on transmission transplantability? I know nothing about transmissions - clearly - other than that they make the car go...or not if one doesn't take care of them.

SPAZZ
02/03/2006, 08:50 PM
$900

psychos2
02/03/2006, 10:22 PM
what exactly is it doing? when is it doing it? need more info.and like anything else ,get a second opinion. shawn

SilverBullet75
02/05/2006, 10:08 AM
You mentioned it was "Clanking"...
Are you experiencing a slamming into gears?
If so, you may want to do a search on Transmission Mode Switch.
EASY fix... and the part is around $200.... fairly common part failure.

Leah
02/05/2006, 06:09 PM
Spazz: $900 sounds a LOT better than the 4800 Izusu wants to charge me for a rebuilt one! Thanks.

Psycos2: It clanks when I put it into first gear, again, but quieter when it goes into second and from there on out, it shifts quietly. When it drops back to first from second, it clanks softly again, and then clunks when I put it into Neutral. It makes a clank as well when I'm going from P to R. So far, it shifts without any jerks. The dealership told me they didn't do anything to it except change the fluid because doing anything else, like servicing it or replacing the filter, wouldn't do any good. And I agree with you on the second opinion. Thanks.

SilverBullet75: I don't experience any sort of slamming when shifting gears. I mean, it feels pretty normal, it just sounds bad. Thank you.

Joe_Black
02/05/2006, 07:19 PM
Isuzu drivelines as a rule generally clunk, thanks to the heavy-truck lineage that's built-in. If it's shifting fine and you're getting metallic clanks as well, then you may want to take a hard look at your u-joints. Especially considering the mileage.

Our IronMan just started doing this (120K+ miles) and there's a lot of play in the u-joints, so I'll replace them this coming weekend which will return us to just the clunks. ;)

Navigator
02/05/2006, 09:01 PM
I agree with the U joints based on what you said about smoth shifting while driving. Grease the 3 zerks on the drive shaft until you see the old grease pop out to see if the problem goes away :luck:

Leah
02/06/2006, 07:51 AM
Joe Black: Thank you very much. That sounds encouraging. Are U joints expensive? How many of them are there?

Navigator: Thank you for your response and encouragement. I will take my truck to someone besides the dealership for this service.

Joe_Black
02/06/2006, 01:28 PM
Joe Black: Thank you very much. That sounds encouraging. Are U joints expensive? How many of them are there?
On the main driveshaft there are just two, front and rear. It's a relatively easy job (just have to make VERY SURE to index before taking apart) if you're somewhat comfortable wrenching on cars and is outlined in the VX Service Manual. Do a search here to find out how to download a copy if you haven't already. As for the price, I should know tomorrow, and will post, as I didn't get a chance to order them today.

Leah
02/06/2006, 06:04 PM
Joe, thank you very much. I would greatly appreciate that information!

I sure have missed all you guys and gals. I haven't been on this site in so many months that I feel like a stranger. But all of you, having jumped in to help out, have made me feel right back at home.

Thank you!

WormGod
02/07/2006, 07:35 AM
Ya, doesnt sound like the tranny is on its way out. Some wear and tear will cause more clank and thud, but it doesnt mean its about to push up daisies. Everyone here has offered some great advice on workarounds to ease the rough soundtrack your VX is playing, and its all very cheap. Go with the joint lubes and see how it goes from there. I lube my joints (on the VX damnit, on the VX!) with every oil change and you would be surprised at how proper juicing will smooth out some of the noise and roughness.

I wouldnt worry so much about the tranny unless you start hearing subtle grinding, getting slippage in gear shifts, or lags/no shifts. All of these things build up though, so you would see them coming.

Leah
02/07/2006, 08:44 AM
Wow wormgod! That's outstanding news! Thank you!!!!!!! :)

Joe_Black
02/07/2006, 09:13 AM
Okay, my friend just called and he quoted me $150 each for the u-joints (need two) but wants to look at the VX's driveshaft 'cause he thinks thats high. So, a quick online parts dig reveals that's actually about the going price and most online vendors seem to be selling them for around $90 each. It's the same part as used on the Trooper so you might call around your local discount auto parts shops and just ask for Trooper u-joints, that way you don't confound the parts counter. ;)

If I'm really ambitious during the maintenance we'll shoot pics and put a "how-to" on the web site.

SPAZZ
02/07/2006, 01:09 PM
I have bought U-joints on Ebay for $8 shipped to my door. Keep looking and never belive the dealer. Also, if you need a front drive shaft I can sell you mine...pm me

yes, grease the rear drive shaft and U-joints and also change out the T-case fluid as well. This has solved my clunking problems before.

Joe_Black
02/08/2006, 10:34 AM
Just ordered a new pair for about $58 each, free shipping.

Car Parts Team - Isuzu VehiCROSS U-Joints (http://www.carpartsteam.com/IS_Vehicross_Driveshaft+aNd+Axle_U-Joint_019.html)

Leah
02/09/2006, 09:34 AM
Joe: Outstanding! Thank you for the updates!

Spazz: Thank you very much. I have yet to get back to a mechanic but will have to make an appointment to find out if I need a driveshaft replacement.