PDA

View Full Version : Did I damage my VX?

Chef
02/07/2006, 07:10 AM
So yesterday I had to go pull my friends jeep out of the spot it was stuck (its a jeep thing, I wouldn't understand ;) ) and the rear end made some wierd noise. I hooked on, went to pull up the slack, and only one rear tire was turning. I rocked it back and fourth a bit when all of a sudden there was a terrible whine from the rear end and the posi kicked in. Could I have messed it up? Is this normal? I recently changed the fluid and added the limited slip snot. Any thoughts?

transio
02/07/2006, 07:19 AM
If you were in 4lo, the diff should be locked, no? Maybe your tires were slipping?

WormGod
02/07/2006, 07:20 AM
Eeeesh, I am stumped on that one, but no, when a noise occurs that doesnt sound right, then clearly, something probably ISNT right. Without hearing the sound with my own ears, it is much tougher to narrow down the cause.

As for the traction control-tire rotation, it would/should do that first, but shouldnt be more than instantaneous before they both turned. TOD really doesnt need more than a fraction of a second to decide, who does what.

driver3
02/07/2006, 08:19 AM
No matter what you do, Low range or not, there's not diff lock, it's just Limited slip... so only one tire will spin anyway. it's just that with the lsd it's a little better off road with picking which tire to spin. It's no where near a locker. As for the noise, when i'm in low I hear the transfer case and a little whine down there when under a heavy strain, but nothing loud or anything. Check the level of fluid in your diff and add the additive if you know it's coming from the rear diff.. same with the transmission. But 4wheel drive is never all 4 wheels unless you have lockers front and rear.

Chef
02/07/2006, 08:32 AM
I understand lockers and posi having run quite a few off road vehicles over the years. I know the VX rearend isn't a locker, but in many cases where mud or snow were involved, spectaters noted that both rear tires were going at the same time. Or like on slick surfaces where the rear end can be kicked sideways, similar to what a locker would feel like, rather than on open diff where only one tire loses traction so its harder to get the rear moving around. It was in four low, but the noise deff. came from the rear, not the transfer case which is a bit noisy (gear driven?). Does the brand of the limited slip addative matter? I picked this stuff up from parts plus that said it met the standards mentioned in the owners manual. Scary.

Joe_Black
02/07/2006, 09:22 AM
Different brands and types of LSD additive do make a difference, so if no one ponies up info in regards to that here then head over to www.planetisuzoo.com where all the Isuzu off-roaders can steer you in the right direction.

Have you serviced your diffs lately? I've been using Mobil-1 gear lube every 15K miles and a GM LSD additive with good results.