PDA

View Full Version : TOD Turmoil

zimzooma
02/08/2006, 10:38 AM
I have a '99 #86 130k miles. This vehicross has served almost perfectly during its years of stomping. Two months ago it began leaking tranny fluid and motor oil. Well, money is a hard thing to come by lately so it had to sit for 6 weeks while I saved. When it made it to the mechanic the trouble turned out to be 2 leaking transmisson cooler lines and a gasket somewhere near the worm drive. 2 of the tires were looking funky so I had them replaced also. Picked it up from the mechanic's and it worked fine. A week later while highway driving it began to rain. TOD went out red check light came on. Now the TOD works intermitintly. At 10 mph it tries to engage but it seems to be confused providing erratic compensations. When TOD fails to engage check light comes on. Also when TOD is off and sharp turn is made I get that noise and binding you get when you switch from 4lo to 4hi. TOD sometimes engages and disengages at high speed affecting stability. Where should I start looking for the problem?
TIRES? Bridgestone Dualer AT P245 70/R16 106S :confused:

mbeach
02/08/2006, 12:37 PM
The TOD receives its axle speed inputs from two VSSs (vehicle speed sensors).

Start looking there. Many have had intermittant TOD operation after submerging these sensors.

Also, what is the worm drive that you mentioned?

psychos2
02/08/2006, 02:18 PM
are the new tires on the front or back? if they are on the front switch them to the back. shawn

zimzooma
02/08/2006, 04:09 PM
Good ideas, I'll swap the tires, the new ones are on the front right now. And then look into the VSS. Thank you. Up until now my VX hasn't required anything more then schduled maintainance. The most amazing vehicle I've ever owned.

psychos2
02/08/2006, 04:46 PM
the smaller tires need to be on the front. that should solve your problem. shawn

mbeach
02/09/2006, 08:29 AM
the smaller tires need to be on the front. that should solve your problem. shawn

:confused:
Strike that. Changing the diameter of the tires effectively alters your gearing. All tires need to be the SAME diameter, front/back/spare.

Your problem didn't occur the second that you swapped out the "funky" tires. It took a week, and began after it rained.

psychos2
02/09/2006, 09:36 AM
:confused:
Strike that. Changing the diameter of the tires effectively alters your gearing. All tires need to be the SAME diameter, front/back/spare.

Your problem didn't occur the second that you swapped out the "funky" tires. It took a week, and began after it rained.

mbeach, he replaced tires that were worn. if the newer tires (having more tread) are on the front it will cause problems with the TOD.even if this does not fix the problem the newer tires should be on the rear. and yes they should all be Bridgestone Dueler AT P245 70/R16 106S. shawn