PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive trouble

Otto
02/12/2006, 02:06 PM
Hi all,I backed up a hill in two wheel drive, TOD started ingaging in and out as it should, so I put the truck in to four wheel drive. All the lights on the dash went on as they should, but when trying to back up the hill, the back wheels started spining and the front wheels seemed not to kick in, but the lights on the dash showed I was ingaged in four wheel drive. Does four wheel drive not work in reverse or is there a problem with my tranny ingaging into four wheel drive? It seems to work while driving drive. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Dare2Dream
02/12/2006, 02:41 PM
One question, when was the last time you changed Transfer case fluid?

Otto
02/12/2006, 03:06 PM
I changed transfer case, tranny & filter, rear & front differentials, about 10,000 miles ago, everything was flushed. In november when it snowed it work then. Useually when I put it in to four wheel drive, I can here it go in, but this time I did not hear it engage.

psychos2
02/12/2006, 03:28 PM
i believe 4lo is a chain drive. did you try more than once to engage? sometimes going in and out of 4lo and back into tod mode helps. shawn

Otto
02/12/2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, I switched between 2 wheel & 4 wheel, it seems to be working on level road way.It may just be to icey on the hill I was trying to drive up.I just thought the front wheels would spin also when trying to get up the hill not just the rear wheels.

psychos2
02/12/2006, 04:07 PM
it would be one side or the other (front left or right),but not both. shawn

Otto
02/12/2006, 05:22 PM
I went out and tryed it again with my father inlaw watching. He said he saw 1 rear tire and 1 front tire was spining but it was just to icey for the tires to grab on to the pavement. Thamks for the input

Triathlete
02/12/2006, 05:25 PM
That would be "4 wheel drive" unless you invest in lockers! :_confused The biggest false advertisement in history!