PDA

View Full Version : VX collision closure!

WormGod
03/06/2006, 07:45 AM
Finally!

I had my ADR hearing Friday to try to resolve the insurance claim before a jury would hear the case.

For those that dont know or dont remember, THIS (http://wormgod.8m.com/crunch.html) is what happened many years ago. The driver at fault was DOA, had state issued insurance (high risk driver), and was in the US on bad paperwork. So, that complicated things a lot and dragged this whole thing on for 4 years.

Anyways, Friday, I saw closure. Nothing to bring back my proper leg use and allow me to play sports again, but at least the monkey is off of my back. After 4 hours of pushing and shoving with words and paper, I settled on $85k and called it quits. I had a $100k max on the policy and considering court would cost roughly $10k and lost wages from court would run another few K, I would risk losing more in court. It was a no win situation really, but then again, it's blood money and blood money is never a winning situation.

So, now the old Dragon Green from the accident can rest in peace knowing she saved my arse and that the whole legal situation is over.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/vx7.jpg

SPAZZ
03/06/2006, 08:55 AM
my soft standing still roll over cost $17,000 in damage to repair and it was bad.
I also, know how you feel settling over blood money. You want all you can get, but it doesn't make things ever right again or the same. There is always that part of you that is numb for the rest of your life.

Maugan_VX
03/06/2006, 10:29 AM
Wow WG. Is there a thread that describes the sequence of events that led to that pile of mangled steel?

It looks like it was horrible.

ZEUS
03/07/2006, 07:14 AM
Maugan, click on "THIS" in Wormgod's original post for more story.

WormGod, you are luckily (i'm sure you have heard that before). In all the pics I have seen of a wrecked up VX I think yours is the only one I have seen with the airbag deployed. Of course, your wreck looks worse than most those other ones too!

Maugan_VX
03/07/2006, 07:25 AM
Doh

didn't see the link, thanks Zeus.

Navigator
03/07/2006, 09:19 AM
:freek: Holy mother of all things sacred GT, you are one fortunate cat. The angels had a hand in your survival, I know you thanked the all mighty.

Glad to hear the courts gave you a little something to help get over a lifetime of pain. Here's to therapy:_beer: $85k buys a lot of beer :naughty:

pbkid
03/07/2006, 10:44 AM
holy damn that is one really ****** up looking VX...looks like she definately saved your life..makes me feel like maybe i should be driving mine instead of my integra...regardless of the gas prices...

ZEUS
03/07/2006, 01:57 PM
Gary - is this lump of cash the REAL reason you have been looking at H3's and Viper's and all those other cars?!?! It's gotta be, "heh"! I bet you are burning a whole in your pockets... and you tried feeding us the excuse that you want better gas mileage! Yeaaaahhh right... ;) I guess after being in a wreck like that you have reason not to get a motorcycle, or one of those funky 3-wheeled cars, or a Smart people were referring to as a way to save gas. I would look at a Hummer too if I were you!!!

Mikeys00vx
03/07/2006, 06:00 PM
Wow..amazing that your alive. Looks like the VX did a great job of holding up. Looking back, do you consider the beefyness of the VX your saving grace? Sure looks that way to me!

Mikey

volume311
03/07/2006, 07:32 PM
Oi, I remeber this. What was the collision speed? Like 90mph between the two vehicles or something like that? From the looks of it, the VX held up rather well.

WormGod
03/09/2006, 07:12 AM
Gary - is this lump of cash the REAL reason you have been looking at H3's and Viper's and all those other cars?!?! It's gotta be, "heh"! I bet you are burning a whole in your pockets... and you tried feeding us the excuse that you want better gas mileage! Yeaaaahhh right... ;) I guess after being in a wreck like that you have reason not to get a motorcycle, or one of those funky 3-wheeled cars, or a Smart people were referring to as a way to save gas. I would look at a Hummer too if I were you!!!

No, not at all. I have been looking for a second car since I moved further out from work since my commute is much longer. This money settlement money was never expected in the quantity given so it just makes things a little easier now. Besides, I think I may have decided on a WRX anyways. Peppy, better gas mileage, and very able to mod. The H3 and Viper would be holes in the head since I was looking for a more gas friendly car. I knew that and had to come to the conclusion that I need to get over the wet dream of having "2" cars with poor gas mileage. All settled though. I corked the hole in my head and started a new stride. ;)

Ya, the accident was pretty intense. The other driver (blood alcohol of 1.8.... so the court stated, even though it seems astronomical) died on impact when he crossed the road. I was able to see him coming seconds before and was able to turn away a bit to avoid a "direct" head on. Me and my passengers remained conscious and coherant the entire time so we were able to communicate with paramedics and the rescue squad the entire time while being cut out. I got a fun little state chopper ride to the trauma unit since I had blood on my face (took no chances with a head injury possible) and I started to run hypothermia since it was the coldest night of the year and it took an hour to cut me out. Surgery, bed rest, therapy, and finding life with a different mobility followed. It's pretty tough going from football, MX rider, soccer player, and surfer to accepting that you can no longer do any of that. But, that is part of the recovery process. I went through a VERY depressing time in my life. But, having gotten my hands on another VX, even while I was still in a cast in therapy, I had the hopes of creating something out of what I had lost.With the support and input from this great VX online society of ours, I was able to turn my new VX into a ligetime project that would become an even greater hobby than those that I was no longer able to do. So, to complete the full circle from this to looking for another car.... I would never get rid of my VX. She is going in the garage to become the project car. I may not be able to run anymore, but with 4 big old tires beneath me, fed by an Alpine blower.... I can run better than I ever did before. :_steering