PDA

View Full Version : Removeing rear seat?

Chef
03/09/2006, 06:44 AM
Has anyone done this and how hard is it? My wife and I are taking a trip to california next week and I'd like to pull the seat out if its not too hard to fit luggage. I know you can fold/tilt the seat, but I'm 6'2 so I'm already leaning back a bit.

Joe_Black
03/09/2006, 06:53 AM
I'm 6'3" and have travelled with the back packed and the rear seat folded up all the way. No issues, you can have the front seats all the way back and reclined somewhat. Keep in mind that the folded seat is about a foot thick, so you don't gain a tremendous amount of volume by removing it. Plus it buffers and protects you and the rear of the front seats from the cargo, not to mention in the event of an accident.

If you really want to remove though, it's very straightforward and involves only removing the mounting bolts and finding a decent place to store the seat while it's out. Just take a look and the seat brackets and you'll figure it out. ;) If not, just post and I or someone will post up the removal procedure from the shop manual.

tomdietrying
03/09/2006, 09:34 AM
Here is something RobVX posted on 2-15-03 about what he did about removing the rear seat. It's a good idea. I did it too.

Having owned two Troopers before waking up and acquiring the BEST thing Isuzu ever made, the rear seat of the VehiCROSS removes the same way the Trooper's did. Although I've only had my VX about a month, I've needed the room more than once.

I saw some posts discussing removal of all the mounting brackets from the floor to remove the rear seat. You don't have to do all that, unless you want to. Just knock out the factory pin holding the seat itself to the bracket on the floor (a hammer is all that's needed), save all the plastic spacers and the springs, and the rear seat easily removes. I replaced the factory pins with 2 inch 5/16 bolts and wing nuts. This allows for quick re-installation of the seat onto the floor bracket using the spacers and springs.

If someone can tell me how to post a photo, I will.
Rob.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
Tom

VehiX
03/09/2006, 11:06 AM
Simply undo the latch in the back that allows you to fold up the seat and undo the screws in the front. It's VERY easy and not complicated AT ALL.

The hardest part I found is getting it back in. You need to be really careful not to strip the bolts or the bolt holes in the floor when you put it back in. I managed to mess up the threads and had to take it to a friend to re-thread one of the floor holes. It's the spring action in the front part of the seat that makes putting it back in difficult. At least is was for me.

Best of luck and have a safe trip :)