PDA

View Full Version : Battery Replacement

yal^
03/29/2006, 06:27 PM
And so the time has come again. This is my second battery in two years.
The vx is parked most of the time, but I do start it up on regular basis. The last 8 weeks of temperature going up and mostly down finally killed my battery. The vx won't start. What is interesting though, it always happens very quickly. I doubt if there are any "leaks" since it was fine for this long.

Anyway... I am in a market battery so give me some ideas - what kind of battery do you recommend?

Ldub
03/29/2006, 06:38 PM
I think you will find a lot of "Optima Red Top" battery fans here. They are not prone to damage from harsh treatment (read: offroading) & keep going & going & going.....
Another mod you might think about (if you don't mind resetting your radio presets), is a battery disconnect switch underhood so you can disconnect the batt. between uses.

Ldub

VX crazy
03/29/2006, 06:38 PM
I had an optima red top, lasted about 1 1/2 yrs but I ran it down by driving to Austin from Dallas without the alternator working. I upgraded to the yellow top about a month ago, they said you can run the yellow tops down and it doesnt ruin the battery like the red tops. I would do the Optima.

Joe_Black
03/29/2006, 06:43 PM
I finally killed my Optima yellow-top after over 6 years of use and three different vehicles. It still works, just won't hold a charge for more than a week or so.

When I got my Dragon home from the dealer I pulled the OEM battery out and put in the Optima, which just got replaced with a new red-top Optima. My battery terminals look like the day I picked my VX from the dealership, brand new with absolutely now corrosion.

That's the beauty of the Optima batteries: They don't gas, corrode, can be mounted in any position (including inside a vehicle) and are extremely resistant to vibration and heat. I've got two of the new industrial Optimas coming for my Ford diesel farm tractors and just put a red-top in the diesel Mercedes I'm playing with.

There just isn't another battery remotely comparable, plain and simple.

yal^
03/30/2006, 08:00 AM
Thx guys, now I know what I am shopping for.
I guess Energizer battries are not so good as they whish...

Spike
03/30/2006, 09:13 AM
The only issue I ever had was when I first bought it.

They did not give me the red plastic base plate.
So it was hopping around a little for a few miles on my way back over to PepBoys. Walked in, told them what I needed and they handed me one.

Fit like a glove, has started perfect every day since... hot cold rain. It doesnt care.

Costco may still carry them, its not in the separate tire department, but inside the main store. I could have saved about $20-$25 if I knew where they were hiding them in the first place.

VehiX
03/30/2006, 10:25 AM
Red top optima user here. I've had it for about 3 years now and no complaints at all. Starts right up every time without hesitation :)

raver_boi_88
03/30/2006, 12:25 PM
yeah, i have a yellow top optima battery in my 1980 corvette and I can start my car in -5 degree weather...I have a yellow top also in my ironman, I am super pleased with these batteries...

rowhard
03/30/2006, 04:58 PM
Seems you are got enough recommendations on what to use. I would also:

1. Rule out a battery drain

2. Think about a charger. My trash hauler (truck) tends to sit for long periods and I don't start it often enough. I bought a solar powered charger for $34.00 and seems to be doing fine. http://batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/. Just plugs into your cigarette lighter

2K1 1K2
03/30/2006, 07:05 PM
hello, yal.

i originally posted this back in Dec '03 -

"i replaced it with a Kirkland battery (model# 12860) CA 1000 CCA 900 which cost $60. available at Costco. it's got a 100 month limited warranty. first 3 yrs have a free replacement. months of useage and percent refunded breakdown is as follows (in case anyone wants to know):

37-45 mth 60% 46-55 mth 50% 56-65 mth 40%
66-75 mth 30% 76-85 mth 20% 86-95 mth 10%
96-100 mth 5% "

the battery is still strong (knock on wood). no complaints. BTW: if you're not interested in this battery, Costco, also, stocks the optima brand (at least they did back then).

-jose

Andrey
03/31/2006, 12:08 PM
red top here, bought 10/03 for $99 in Costco. LOVE IT !....not Costco but OPTIMA :)