PDA

View Full Version : SFA conversion

Nerve_Gas
04/04/2006, 07:43 AM
I'm turning my VX into a trail rig and I was wondering if anyone had tried putting a solid front axle on their VX? If so what type of axle should I use and how should I go about doing it? Also Does anyone have to designs for the rock sliders?

Triathlete
04/04/2006, 07:54 AM
Only one I know of doing one is Spazz. Waggy D44 with a passenger side drop will work. You'll also find lots of aftermarket parts for these.
Are you doing it yourself or haveing it done? Going to do a link set up?
Make sure and take/post lots of pics of the progress when you do it.

Nerve_Gas
04/04/2006, 10:55 AM
I've got to save up for it and it will be a link setup but it will happen one day and I will post a ton of pics when I do it

Triathlete
04/04/2006, 11:54 AM
If your doing the work yourself it won't cost to much. Mostly just time. The 44's can be picked yp at a local junk yard for well under $400. Springsand shocks aren't too exspensive. Some tubing, joints and Brackets is all thats left.
Here are some links to some places that sell that stuff...
Poly Performance (http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php)
More Zu specific...
Independent 4X (http://www.independent4x.com/)
Darlington Offroad (http://www.darlington-offroad.com/)

ZEUS
10/07/2006, 05:44 PM
Hey, any of you guys made progress on this? And SPAZZ, help me out here... I thought the widetrack 44's from the FSJ's never came with the QuadraTrac X-case. I have both stored in Wyoming - a '78 Cherokee with manual tranny and a '80(?) Wagoneer with QuadraTrac - different side diff drops as well as different widths between the two. The QuadraTrac being the narrow track. And have you seen if the rear 44 (widetrack) would line up with the stock VX transfer case? I would love to see an SAS on a VX like I saw on an Amigo this year at the 'Zoo!

The race is on - who's first?!?!?!?!?! Oh maybe somebody already did it but I haven't seen pics yet.

Nerve_Gas
10/14/2006, 06:53 AM
I would love to do one but I don't have the money to make any progress on it. But I can still dream about a VX on 36" tsl/sx and an LS1 under the hood, with a full cage, oh and an advanced adapters t-case...basically a VX body with a new truck under it.

pbkid
10/14/2006, 12:41 PM
yea my goal is to get my vx to 6inch lift, 35's (i think), full exo-cage and a full skid place front to rear.

ZEUS
12/05/2006, 10:50 AM
yea my goal is to get my vx to 6inch lift, 35's (i think), full exo-cage and a full skid place front to rear.

This is what I am thinking about right now... not that I will ever do it but I can envision it! I priced out what it would take to SAS mine using dual Dana 44's with ARB's and 5.38 gears. $4700 or so! Selling some stock parts though would offest this price significantly. Since I already have the axles I would first try to reuse the Waggy springs and see how it lines up but I would rather go with an air bag suspension. People have said the VX looks like a shoe so I guess with airlockers and air suspension I would be driving a Nike Air Jordan VX! It would be a lot of work and money though and you would never ever get your money back on a project like this. It would be trick! I'm just talking out my arse!

pbkid
12/05/2006, 11:18 AM
yea as am i...if i could afford it then i would be down to do it myself but thats just a little too pricey for a 20 year old =)...oh well i can do everything except for the extra 3 inches and the big tires until its affordable =)

TEN36VX
12/05/2006, 12:09 PM
Might want to PM DarkEngineering (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1665). He was tossing around the idea of fab'ing an SAS kit for us (and Troopers). Just a thought.

EDIT: He was planning on making it a 4-link, coil set-up

ZEUS
12/05/2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the tip! I know Indy 4x has an SAS leaf spring kit available... well a couple of kits. I don't think I would need a kit though. Still, I would rather go about it with a link and coil or airbag method. With leaves you have to mount everything perfectly since you can not adjust things afterward. With links, you can adjust distances. There are some good programs out there you could use to cycle a 3D model suspension based on VX dimensions. You can adjust anti-squat, torque lift, twist and all that good stuff before building anything. Ultimately, designing a suspension similar to the Scorpion MK for the VX is the way I would prefer to go... if I won the lottery! I would have to sell some projects to pull it off otherwise and aquire a new daily driver... nice to dream though...

Triathlete
12/05/2006, 09:58 PM
Some things to keep in mind...you'll have to do away with ABS (won't be missed off road) or locate the sensor to your new axles. I am also going to do away with my TOD and go with a manual transfer case...possibly twin sticked. As soon as mine is paid off and I can funnel the car pmt. $$$ into the project.