PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Bucky7
04/17/2006, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, need some help here.

The "check engine" light came on when driving to work this morning. I read the portion in the manual about it, but I need to know if this is something that needs to be taken care of immediately or could it at least wait till the weekend? And this machine that it has be hooked up to, is this something that only an Isuzu dealer would have or will just about any higher class garage have one? Please advise....

:confused:

Triathlete
04/17/2006, 10:31 AM
Any garage should have one. You could swing by an Autozone (or whatever name they use in your area) and they will come out and read the code for free. Then you will know what you need to fix.

VehiX
04/17/2006, 11:56 AM
After that, go buy a scan guage from tone or other places on the net. Useful tool for the money if you ask me :)

I hope todays problem is nothing serious for you.

Bucky7
04/17/2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks you guys, I appreciate the help. There's an Auto Zone just a few blocks from work, will check it out after I leave.

climbcovey
04/17/2006, 01:16 PM
Hey do a search of previous threads on this subject. It has been discuss multiple times with various causes, most very easy fixes. Acouple of these can be tried even before you make it to autozone (ie tighten the gas cap) Good luck!

Bucky7
06/05/2006, 03:08 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry to take so long to get back, I did go by Auto Zone and have my code read, the result was a defective EGR valve. The salesman 'suggested' that I buy a new valve, at $183, I declined telling him that my bro-in-law is a mechanic and that I would get with him about purchasing a new part.

After reading thru several posts on the same topic, I'm curious, does a "defective valve" mean that I need to replace my current valve or can I simply try cleaning my existing valve?

Any advice I would greatly appreciated.

GOVEHIX
06/05/2006, 05:38 PM
i have my check engine light on too, that made me fail my smog check~ shtt~

Tobert
06/05/2006, 08:30 PM
Check the price for a 2000 S-10 pickup 4.3L and 1995 Camaro 3.8L -- it's the exact same EGR valve. I have the EGR from the Camaro if somebody's in a pinch and wants to try it. It's pretty rusty but likely works and is identical to the one on my VX. You pay shipping and $20 if it works.

I went everywhere in town looking for an EGR gasket and didn't find one, then found one right on top of my toolbox I had leftover from my 93 Jimmy. The 93 Jimmy's EGR is shaped differently but would probably work. I just looked at my father-in-law's 2000 S-10 tonight and it is just like the Camaro's EGR.

In any case, you can probably find one at a bone yard cheap enough if it really needs replacing. Usually they just need a good cleaning with carb cleaner and a screwdriver.

Here's another tip I learned about on the S-10 forums -- you can get an EGR gasket with a screen on the exhaust side that helps prevent clogging due to larger pieces of carbon getting blown through it.

I bought one for the Jimmy from Rob Stark (which is why I had an extra). I can't find a link from his site but Google found a couple others:
http://www.sherco-auto.com/klean.htm
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=7514

The real deal: http://www.tomco-inc.com/

Edit: added the Tomco link.

Maugan_VX
06/06/2006, 04:59 AM
before you go and replace it, I'd try giving both the EGR and the pipe a good dousing with O2-safe carb cleaner. Go get the light reset and see if it comes back.

johnnyapollo
06/06/2006, 05:32 AM
Harbor Freight has an OBDII meter on sale:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46030

I've got one - it works as designed.

The EGR is pretty easy to clean yourself - like Maugan says, try that first (careful with the right bolt - if you drop it it's hard to find). I sometimes see OEM replacements on eBay for around $100 (the current listings are more like $200).

-- John

Bucky7
06/06/2006, 08:14 AM
before you go and replace it, I'd try giving both the EGR and the pipe a good dousing with O2-safe carb cleaner. Go get the light reset and see if it comes back.

I think this is what I'm going to try first. I'm no mechanic, but my valve looked brand new, and I'm having a difficult time looking at it and seeing "defective." The VX is not my 'daily driver,' so I have the luxury of time, but I'll try to get this done over or before the weekend and let everyone know my results. Really appreciate the help from everyone.

Maugan_VX
06/06/2006, 10:13 AM
just watchout for that one bolt... I recommend loosenning it as much as you can by finger then using a shop magnet to remove it. Then using the magnet/finger combo to put the bolt back in.