PDA

View Full Version : Suspension "clunk"

Triathlete
04/23/2006, 09:15 PM
Alright, heres the problem...
When backing up, turning (both directions) and hitting the breaks I get a loud clunk that feels like its coming from the suspension. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 days but doesn't happen every time. Nothing is rubbing, CV boots are good, nothing is loose under there. I'm not sure if it is the front or rear. The only thing that has changed since this started was new tires (same as the ones that were on it). All lugs are tight.
Any ideas??????
I had my neighbor (mechanic) watch and listen but could not duplicate it when he was there.

luz
04/24/2006, 01:38 PM
I had clunks under hard braking that went away when I lubed the joints.

Triathlete
04/25/2006, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm, hasn't happened again. I hate phantom problems...never know what it was or when it might rear its head again!

etlsport
04/25/2006, 02:21 PM
luz, where did you lube/what did you use? i get a clunk during take off after a hard brake

luz
04/25/2006, 03:41 PM
I used Mobil One Synthetic grease. There are other posts in the forum that discuss lubing the joints, but it's really easy.

There are three spots where there is a nipple or zerk joint that you plug your grease gun into. One on each U Joint and one on the shaft. Park on a level surface and if you can't get to the nipples, move the VX up or down a foot to where the shaft rotates and you can access the nipples.

Just be sure to get a grease gun with flexible tubing because it's hard to get a good angle without it. You can plug into the zerks and squeeze new grease into the joints until the old grease oozes out. Wipe off the excess and you're good to go. But be advised that the one on the shaft takes a while to fill up if it's completely dry as mine was.

Triathlete
04/29/2006, 08:19 PM
Now it started doing in while going forward also (to a lesser extent). I think I've narrowed it down to the rear end. Sounds like the LSD is engaging (the jerking feels like the right side). Is the left side the usual drive side until the LSD locks up? When I changed out the diff fluid with mobil1 I only put one bottle of additive in it. Tomorrow I'm going to get a second and add to it plus check the fluid level (although there are no signs of leakage). We'll see what happens. Got two weeks to figure it out before heading to Moab.

Triathlete
04/30/2006, 05:47 PM
Okay...so today I checked the gear oil level in the diff. It was good. I then added a second tube of LSD additive. I lubed the 3 zerk fittings on the driveshaft with Mobil1 synth grease. I removed the rear right tire and inspected the brakes and rotor. Everything is or appears good.
Went for a test drive. I am getting a clunking sound (almost like something binding) while driving straight. The sound sounds like it is coming from the right rear although it could just be transmiting to that area. The noise dos not happen all the time It will happen 2 or 3 times real quick then not happen again for a while. I am stumped. Anyone have any more Ideas? I've got 2 weeks to figure this out before I head to Moab.

Triathlete
05/02/2006, 08:18 AM
Next up will be changing the U joint. Reading the manual and it soinds like this might be the problem (fingers crossed).

Triathlete
05/02/2006, 10:11 AM
Searched all local parts stores and the local Zu dealer. No one has them and the Zu dealer said they were no longer available! Zu dealer told me to check the "junk yards". Why would anyone want to buy a used wearable part? Called Merlin. He said the California wherehouse had 2 on hold. Meaning a dealer could not get them for shelf stock but for a customer with vin # it wasn't a problem. With 15% discount part was $75 shipped to the door. Will be here in 2-3 days....just in time for the weekend!
By the way...my local dealership is a joke and the only reason I called them was because no one else carried them locally!
I was also told by one of the local parts stores that his 'puter only listed 2000 and 2001. I told him I thought they were all the same. He said both had different part #'s. Just a bit of a heads up.