PDA

View Full Version : oil leakage

Tobert
05/01/2006, 07:59 AM
I've called around looking for gaskets for the front of my 3.5 since it leaks like a sieve. I'm going to pull it apart and reassemble it this week/end and replace the front seal and pan gasket.

Does this engine have an oil pan gasket or is it just silicone? (there is a messy silicone job on it now from what appears to have been a timing belt replacement)

I usually use Permatex Copper - anybody have any strong feelings on other silicones?

Are there any other common leaking points on the front of the engine besides the front seal, valve covers, or oil pan?

-Tobert

mbeach
05/01/2006, 08:37 AM
For seals and gaskets, call Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu (search here for the number).

I use Permatex as well, blue or copper. I like the bright colors -it helps to spot leaks in the future.

As for the leaking, not many owners complain about this. Oil consumption has been an issue, but not actual leaks.

WyldWeasel
05/01/2006, 09:32 AM
I was told by the parts guy at my local dealership that the lower oil pan is just siliconed, there is no actual gasket.

I have trouble with mine leaking because two prior owners ago it got bashed and that more than likely broke the seal. Pity I didn't discover this before I shelled out the Mobil One for an oil change.

I was going to get this fixed when I did my next oil change (which I was figuring, since the car had been sitting for a while it might be good to get done before I leave for Moab.)

Tone
05/01/2006, 12:06 PM
You almost have to lift the motor out to get to the oil pan gasket. I may have an extra oil pan if your's is too warped to seal correctly.

Tobert
05/01/2006, 12:48 PM
I have a cherry picker, so if it has to come out, so be it. I wonder if I should do anything else to it while it's out ...

What do you mean by "almost" lift it out? Can I pick up on the engine with the cherry picker to get the clearance I need?

I've never tried this, so what's the relative safety/danger of just releasing the motor mounts and lifting the engine gently? Obviously I have to watch the wires & stuff that may get stressed ... perhaps I should just pull it. Couldn't hurt to take a look at the bottom end while it's out.

Sounds like it may be worth attacking the low-hanging fruit first like the front seal and valve cover gaskets.

Thanks!
-Tobert

Tone
05/01/2006, 01:13 PM
Probably loosing the motor mounts will allow you to jack it up enough to get the bolts out but won't be enough to get the pan off. Removal is never fun and lots of stuff to unbolt and unplug. Good luck and let us know what you find on the pan.