PDA

View Full Version : OE Shock Failure - Rebuild

VR4-Quest
05/01/2006, 09:06 AM
Recall my previous post........http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6292
about rebuilding the OE shocks. I had Bruces Suspensions rebuild both of my front shocks after they failed, and he did an excellent job, back to factory performance for right around $300 for the 2 shocks, shipping included. Anyway, one of the shocks he rebuilt lost its nitrogen charge again, it was the older of the 2. Bruce's believes he has figured out why they fail, especially the fronts. There is a metal cap press fit onto the top of the resevoirs, what happens is, since they arent sealed, is water gets in under it, and begins to corode the main cap that seels in the oil and nitrogen, and my older orignal shock had corossion all around the main cap. The cap is held in by a snap ring. SO Bruce machined and new cap , with a slighly larger radius and thicker gauge, and replace the o-ring seals around it, cleaned the reseviour cylinder, and charged it back up. So far so go. Give Bruce a shout if you like the stock ride and want your shocks rebuild, hes a great guy to work with, and think has these shocks pretty much figured out!

VR4-Quest
05/01/2006, 09:09 AM
Oh, BTW, since he machines a hole in the main cap to recharge the shock, the top metal cap (which leaks) cant fit back on anyway, so the real solution to prevent future corrosion, is to buy a pipe cap (rubber with steel clamp) to place over the top of the resevoir and tight down. That will keep all moisture out for good! Would be a good idea to put these on your OE shocks even if they are still good to prevent future failure. The rear as well, although the face down and are as suseptable, but still could have water get in.

Hotsauce
05/01/2006, 02:56 PM
I'm still waiting to see a picture of this rebuild.

John C.

mbeach
05/01/2006, 07:15 PM
I had suspected gas leakage in the case of my two trucks worth of shocks before.
BUT, Isuzu wouldn't warranty them since there was no signs of oil leakage.

As a result, there are 8 rebuildable shocks somewhere in the Franklin County, Ohio landfill.

VR4-Quest
05/01/2006, 07:44 PM
Hotsauce, there is really nothing to see. He replaces the valving/piston inside and the oil, then recharges. Looks just like the OE unit. Only visibly difference is the black metal cap on the top of the resevior is gone, and there is a schrader valve tapped into the cap inside the resevior housing (its too tall thats why the stock metal cap cant be refitted, thus clamping on the rubber pipe end) plus it keeps out the moisture. Ill try and get a pic anyway of the schrader valve.