PDA

View Full Version : The perils of a U-Joint

Triathlete
05/08/2006, 11:48 AM
Well s we know I was having some problems with noise in the rear section of the VX. After being stumped and checking everything I decided to chnge the rear U-Joint. After a local search for the part came up fruitless I ordered one from Merlin at St. Charles last Tuesday. Was told 2-3 days and it would be at the door.
In the mean time while driving home from work Thursday the noise turned into a grinding/screaching noise. I made it home and parked the VX in hopes that the new U-Joint would be here by Friday for a weekend with the wrench. Well Friday goes as does Saturday with no part. Sunday I decided since I wasn't going to be driving the VX untill after I changed the U-Joint I'd go ahead and remove the old one in prep for when the new one arrived. Lessons learned...
Its much easier to work on the U-Joint with the shaft rmoved from the vehicle. My limited amount of tools didn't help. But a few sockets and a hammer and the job was done in a couple hours time. Now I'm just sitting and waiting for the part. Hopefully it will get here today so I can finish the job and see if it fixes the problem. If not I may have to take it to the shop...launch time for Moab is only 6 days away!
I have my fingers crossed! Right now my VXsits in the garage shaftless with the driveshaft apart sitting on the ground!

biju
05/08/2006, 11:57 AM
nobody or no 'thing' should ever be shaftless... :eek:

i hope that part comes soon so you don't miss out on zu. my fingers are crossed for ya.

-biju.

Triathlete
05/08/2006, 12:04 PM
Not going to miss Moab...even if I have to McGuyver it! ;eeky;

Joe_Black
05/08/2006, 12:06 PM
Make sure you made your witness marks! Otherwise you'll be taking a 2-ton vibrator to Moab. :p

Triathlete
05/08/2006, 12:08 PM
Yep, mine was already marked with white paint and all the zerks were lined up as well!

Ruflyf
05/08/2006, 03:17 PM
Make sure you made your witness marks! Otherwise you'll be taking a 2-ton vibrator to Moab. :p

Lol, thats sounds kinda scary hehe

Triathlete
05/10/2006, 11:00 PM
The story continues...
After removing the U Joint it looked fine. I still have not recieved the new one so I put the old one back on. Heres where the story takes a twist.
Since I was stumped I decided to take the VX to a trusted mech. He drove it down the street and listened. Says its your rear drivers side brakes. Look at the rear wheel and notice only 5 lug nuts...Hhmmm. He recommends I take it back to where I got the tires installed and have them fix there mistake...they over tightened the lug causing it to break. The tire shop farms out that type of work so I take it to the contracted brake shop. They find the back half of the lug in the e-brake where it did a bit of damage while wedging and rattling around in there. They can't get the parts as they are dealer only parts. So I have an appointment with the local (only) Zu dealer Friday. All repairs will be paid for by the tire shop!

VehiX
05/11/2006, 06:34 AM
The story continues...
After removing the U Joint it looked fine. I still have not recieved the new one so I put the old one back on. Heres where the story takes a twist.
Since I was stumped I decided to take the VX to a trusted mech. He drove it down the street and listened. Says its your rear drivers side brakes. Look at the rear wheel and notice only 5 lug nuts...Hhmmm. He recommends I take it back to where I got the tires installed and have them fix there mistake...they over tightened the lug causing it to break. The tire shop farms out that type of work so I take it to the contracted brake shop. They find the back half of the lug in the e-brake where it did a bit of damage while wedging and rattling around in there. They can't get the parts as they are dealer only parts. So I have an appointment with the local (only) Zu dealer Friday. All repairs will be paid for by the tire shop!

I can't believe they gave it back to you like that and didn't even say anything about it! :_wtf:

You would think a reputable place would simply fix the problem right away as they are obviously going to have to do it now anyway! The shop may be good but who ever did the work should be FIRED! :_huh:

I'd check the rim for damage too because if they tightend it hard enough to snap the bolt, they obviously were not following torque specs when putting the wheel back on.

Triathlete
05/11/2006, 09:21 AM
The manager of the shop is a good friend of mine. He runs a good crew. I am pretty sure that the person that did the work will be dealt with appropriately. The thing is a $20 tire instal is going to cost them $300-$500!

VXcaver
05/11/2006, 11:35 AM
Billy- if you're referring to the same tire place you sent me to back when, I didn't come away with such a good impression. I watched as a tire tech stood on the roof of my vehicross with his feet on luggage rack crossmembers and acted like my truck was a surf board. I think you enjoy better service because you're friends with the owner; I just think they're always rushing, trying to cram as many sales into a day as possible. I didn't go back...