PDA

View Full Version : outline of tranny filter on tranny pan......

IndianaVX
05/10/2006, 07:16 PM
as you may know from my other post, i was under the vx today, checkin things out, and i noticed what i think is the outline of the tranny filter, on the outside of the tranny pan. it was a definately darker brown than the rest of the pan.
what would do this, (ran with low, or no fluid), or is this a normal thing with you guys too.
thanks again for all your help
God bless you all, i know i have been
david

IndianaVX
05/15/2006, 07:31 PM
ok, got some pics.....is anyone elses tranny pan look like this?? havent tried to scrub it off yet.

Andrey
05/15/2006, 07:37 PM
yes, almost identical... just a bit smaler stain and lighter. My drain plug was like that since day one. Does not necesseraly mean running low/no fluid. If they changed your tranny fluid bebore the drain plug might been not too tight ? Changing drain plug/adding copper washer might help....

psychos2
05/15/2006, 07:57 PM
there was TSB for the drain plugs leaking. I had mine replaced under warranty. I do not remember if they replaced just the gaskets or the drain plugs too. shawn

IndianaVX
05/15/2006, 08:31 PM
the "outline" isnt wet....its just dry,slightly greasy, dark, dusty like substance. is it just former leak mixed with dust, dirt, and road stuff?

IndianaVX
05/15/2006, 08:34 PM
i should clarify, the outline isnt wet like a current leaking situation.
thank you for your replies. this has been really bothering me, thinking my tranny is getting too hot, and burning images in pan. appreciating all the input.
God is Good
David

psychos2
05/16/2006, 11:10 AM
A slow leak would do what you describe. Replacing the gaskets (on the drain plugs) will stop it. Is your vx still under warranty? If so you can get them to fix it. Tell them there is a TSB on the drain plugs. shawn

IndianaVX
05/16/2006, 07:44 PM
shawn,
my vx is not under factory warranty, but has a 3yr 38000 mile warranty, not sure if plug would be covered. ahhh, ill just get a new drain plug,and save my deduct.
thanks again
david