PDA

View Full Version : Placing the VX in neutral at stop lights.

blacksambo
05/16/2006, 09:24 AM
Does anybody have any opinions, either pros or cons about placing the VX PRNDL shifter handle into neutral at stop lights? You know, it will help save the tranny bands or wear out the PRNDL switch quicker etc. etc. Just would like any thoughts here. Thx.

autox-racer
05/16/2006, 09:33 AM
I believe it could cause just as much wear on the parts when you put it back into gear so I am of the belief that it should be left in gear.

Of course I take mine out on occasion because I have a bearing in the that is starting to make noise and it can be annoying at a light. 79k and my trans is sick.. That is sick and wrong but I guess GM transmissions are not suppose to last!

Joe_Black
05/16/2006, 10:10 AM
That's one of those old car-myths and will cause more wear and harm than good. Generally an automatic is pretty robust as long as you maintain it.

VehiGAZ
05/16/2006, 11:41 AM
Doesn't the idle rpm go up when in neutral vs. when in gear? That would mean that you would be burning more gas by shifting to neutral.

mbeach
05/16/2006, 12:34 PM
This is why you have a torque convertor. Stay in D.

blacksambo
05/16/2006, 02:10 PM
While the idle goes up the amount of work and heat generated would go down by virtue of the fact that you are not generating any real
torque in neutral and torque uses fuel. Any thoughts?

transio
05/16/2006, 06:12 PM
Doesn't the idle rpm go up when in neutral vs. when in gear? That would mean that you would be burning more gas by shifting to neutral.Higher RPM, but less load.

JAFO
05/19/2006, 12:59 PM
What about drag racing?

I usually don't like burn outs, I think they are interesting to watch but they kill your tires and a loss of traction is a loss of performance, but can the VX do them?

mbeach
05/19/2006, 01:17 PM
Spray your tires down with a Clorox and water solution, then go and find some nice, old asphalt.

Tell us how it goes...

HotFlyer
05/19/2006, 05:25 PM
I have found that my VX burns .5 GPH at a stop in gear(D) and .3 GPH in netural(N)

Howard 0761

etlsport
05/19/2006, 09:30 PM
but at a light your stopped for what.. a minute? .2/60= saving .003 gallons each time you do it.... probably not even worth the effort of going to neutral and back, not to mention the (minimal) wear of shifting gears at each light

Daver
05/28/2006, 09:29 AM
I think disengaging/engaging the transfer case is going to cause you more problems in the long run.

In a manual it makes perfect sense. In an automatic that's pretty harsh. Torque converters are not as forgiving as lightly letting out a clutch manually. They just dump a bunch of torque into the rest of the drive line. Not as bad as popping a clutch, but not something I think is a good idea on a regular basis.

-Daver

mbeach
05/28/2006, 01:06 PM
Another thing to consider-
-especially if you've ever ridden a motorcycle.

When I'm sitting at a light (in D), I keep one eye on the light and one eye on the rearview mirror. That way, when some meatrocket-cellphone-gabber fails to pay attention, I can get out of their way before they rear-end me.

At least in Drive, you have a fighting chance to get out of their way.