PDA

View Full Version : altitude SUCKS

Triathlete
06/09/2006, 01:18 PM
Last weekend I learned (well I already knew this but just reaffirmed it) that when you train at 2500ft elevation, racing at 6500ft sucks....literally!

Here is the summary from my Deuceman Triathlon (1/2 Ironman distance) experience...
Here are my splits from Deuceman
AG Place 7
Overal place 33

Swim
Rank 3/ Time 31:09.2/ pace 27:36

T1 time 2:07

Bike
Rank 7/ Time 2:49:51.2/ MPH 19.8

T2 Time 1:40.7

Run
Rank 9/ Time 2:07:03.4/ Pace 9:42

Overall Time 5:31:51.7

Here is a LINK to all the results

Swim felt good until the last 300 meters. The run up the boat ramp with lack of blood in the legs and air in the lungs (altitude sucks when you train at 2500FT.) was a lung buster. The bike felt good until the last 10 miles or so. 7 of that was up hill! The bike course was either up hill or down hill with maybe 3 miles of flat in the whole thing. The run started off with a slight uphill. It was in the mid 80's. At mile 1 I started to cramp. Another 1/4 mile and the legs cramped hard. I had to stop and massage them then walked 1/2 mile to the next aid station. The legs came back and I started running good again. Caught a lot of the people that passed me while I was walking. About mile 9ish I started to bonk. Next aid station no gels! 2nd aid station...no gells! Finally the next aid station had gell. I downed two and was off. Nice hill at mile 12. Felt good again and cruised into the finish feeling strong. MMMMmmmmm!!! Popsicles at the finish line!

Went out and volunteered the next day for the offroad triathlon (xttera) race. Had a blast working the bike aid station!

Velvis
06/09/2006, 03:33 PM
Good God, man, WHAT WAS CHASING YOU??? It runs AND SWIMS??? Get a big stick!

Velvis

MSHardeman
06/09/2006, 04:01 PM
I'm with Velvis. If it ain't chasin' me, or I ain't chasin' it, I ain't worth it. :p

I'm sure it would be interesting to see if I could actually push myself that hard, but I don't know if I'll ever find out.

Billy, if you really want to do some training at altitude come on up to Aspen (7500 feet). I used to live in Telluride where biking and running was a lot of fun at 8700 feet. All of the trails started in town, and immediately went up 2000 feet. Not good for a boy from the swamps.

Ldub
06/09/2006, 04:41 PM
I'm with Velvis. If it ain't chasin' me, or I ain't chasin' it, I ain't worth it. :p
I'm sure it would be interesting to see if I could actually push myself that hard, but I don't know if I'll ever find out.

Thats the cool thing about being middle aged (I hope) & somewhat overweight...not much chases you anymore, you got not much reason to chase anything anymore & I KNOW for a fact I'll never push myself that hard...so that's one less thing to think about.
Sheesh...thanks for reminding me how good I've got it. :dance:
Billy, I wish you well & admire your physical abilities...but MAN, I'm glad I don't have the urge to enter one of those events. :p

Lashsquat
06/09/2006, 06:44 PM
That is awsome! i know what its like to push yourself to a physical level and the personal satifaction you get from it..im not a runner type,more on the anarobic side..national bodybuilding/weightlifting...won some.. lost a lot! but i do know when i included cardio in my training to loss bodyfat, i suffered more on the road runs and mt bike rides than i ever did under a loaded squat rack or bench press!... congrats on your event and hope you keep beating yourself in future meets!!

Velvis
06/09/2006, 07:48 PM
I used to live downvalley from Aspen in Woody Creek, neighbor to the good Doctor Thompson, and semi-regular at the Woody Creek Tavern. I had the Roaring Fork River 30 ft. out my back door, and dodged deer on my way home every night. I worked two restaurant jobs in Snomass - 7 days a week at CeCe's Point of View on Sam's Knob, 5 days a week at Hite's in Snowmass Village. I got to ski from job to job EVERY DAY! (and on breaks!). I sold a '72 Targa to go "find myself". Made great friends, skiied and worked my butt off, proposed to my beloved Patti, and had a blast.
It took about 4 weeks for this flatlander to acclimatize, and when I came home, I felt like Superman. 17 years later, I feel more like Lex's chubby henchman. (Ned Beatty?? ooohh no)
...need more mountains...

Velvis