PDA

View Full Version : Klanging on Acceleration

WyrreJ
06/15/2006, 09:24 AM
I just noticed a klanging sound on acceleration - seems to happen about 80% of the time I press down on the accelerator. Can't really hear it with the windows up - but with them down it is very noticeable, especially at low speeds. My VX is just a little overdue for the 30K maintenance, so I'll be taking it in soon. But I was hoping to get some sort of idea as to what it might be beforehand to keep the dealer honest. Any ideas as to what it might be - loose muffler perhaps?

Ruflyf
06/15/2006, 10:09 AM
I have always found getting a friend outside the car helps to diagnos problem sounds. As long as you dont have to drive faster than they can walk/jog it works pretty good, also a little more involved idea is put all the tires up off the ground and see if you still hear it, may not since there is no longer any resistance. However with both methods be very careful

Ldub
06/15/2006, 10:50 AM
Max Smart voice on: < Sounds like the old heat shield on the exhaust rattle, chief! > :smart voice off...

nfpgasmask
06/15/2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I just hit 27k and I notice a slight rattle underneath and also something banging around on the left side in the rear when I go over bumps. I am certain it is coming from under the truck as I have checked and secured my spare and any other loose items in the back. I think it must be my exhault or the heat sheilds. I hope to creep under there soon and get a fix on what is causing the noise. Its very annoying.

Bart

WyrreJ
06/17/2006, 04:54 PM
I got under there today and sure enough, the small heatshield right below the driver's seat was the culprit - one of its weld joints had rusted through. I bent it up so that the edge was an inch or so away from the pipe and the sound went away.

Any suggestions on how to properly fix it short of getting a new one welded on? Is there some sort of high-temp adhesive I can use to reattach that joint?