PDA

View Full Version : tranny leak!

zadam123
06/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Ok I noticed a leak under my car the other day and saw it was tranny fluid. It looks like it was commin from under the pan so i brought it ot a mechanic and he told me it waas comming from the pan gasket so i had him do a tranny service since it was due anyway. when i got the car home i noticed it was still leaking so i brought it back and I looked at it on lthe lift and it looked like it was leaking from somewhere near the back of the pan but really couldnt get a good look at it since the crossmember was in the way so he said hell do another service cause he may have gotten a bad gasket. well this is still leaking and he said it may be comming from something above the pan.

Does anyone know where this may be comming from, someone else told me there is gasket above there? any ideas

thanks

adam

blacksambo
06/15/2006, 03:41 PM
Just went through the same problem with my '99. First, know that the cross member must come off inorder to genuinely get the pan off. So a gasket leak is possible if that was done (my mechanic claimed he did the pan removal, but on further inspection I could see that it did not come off, so he redid it right. Then I had a pan gasket leak which he fixed on the second go round.) Now, with a full-up tranny and a new pan gasket it still had a leak...on the left hand side??? I looked and the PRNDL switch on the side was wet. Now we had a gasket on the side of the tranny to address. My mechanic ordered a new gasket/seal and installed this. But I still had a leak. So, a second attempt on that seal resolved that matter but... I still had leak? The last leak was just a lose filler plug on the pan (after all that torture). Whew! Moral of the story...yes alot of things can leak and you have to address them all. Almost makes you feel that cleaning out the ole tranny just ain't worth it...but it is. It sure runs a whole lot sweeter with that AMSOIL in it.

Francesco Rizzo
06/15/2006, 06:14 PM
I took my truck in to get the engine and tranny flushed... seems they did a reverse flush where they send about 14 quarts of fluid through the system backwards... it caused a couple of leaks but a gasket change seemed to fix it.. I noticed moisture/drips several times after but nothing crazy like the frist time I had to bring it in for the new gasket... I'm coming up on my 90K soon but don't want a repeat.. did you guys by any chance have service doen prior to the leaks?

blacksambo
06/15/2006, 08:45 PM
Yes, I did. That's what started the whole series of leaks.

zadam123
06/16/2006, 06:21 PM
nope not me. just gave it a 100,000 tune up and few weeks later bam! tranny leak.

WILLY
07/03/2006, 12:48 PM
MINE STARTED LEAKING AND I SNUGGED THE PAN BOLTS AND IT STOPPED,LUCKY ME HUH.WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW THE #$@* DO I CHECK AND TOP THE FLUID OFF WITHOUT TAKING IT TO THE STEALER DEALER. :mad:

Ldub
07/03/2006, 03:03 PM
MINE STARTED LEAKING AND I SNUGGED THE PAN BOLTS AND IT STOPPED,LUCKY ME HUH.WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW THE #$@* DO I CHECK AND TOP THE FLUID OFF WITHOUT TAKING IT TO THE STEALER DEALER. :mad:

I just bumped up the thread: "VX is shifting badly" ...the info. you seek is contained in post #10.
Just click on the thumbnail, then enlarge. ;)

blacksambo
07/05/2006, 02:09 PM
Jack it up. All four wheels. Start it up. Pull the higher of the two drain looking type plugs. Stick your pinky in. If its wet, it's full. If not, run a tube down from above with more fluid into the open hole. Simple???