PDA

View Full Version : Different size tire front/back

smorris65
06/21/2006, 08:58 PM
Hi,
Today I was in a situationn where I needed 4 legal tires fast.
I bought 265-60-118"s for the front and 280-60-18's for the back.
4 used tires for $200.00. They didn't have 4 of the same size.

Will it hurt my VX to run 265's on front and 280's on back?

They sure look better than the bald stock ones that were on it.

Ldub
06/21/2006, 09:36 PM
Ummm, Yeah, your TOD display should be going berzerk with that combo.
All four tires need to be the same size (diameter) for the TOD to work properly.
Search "tire calculator" to see the difference in diameter between these two sizes.

Anita
06/21/2006, 09:45 PM
That's a Big No-no as Ldub said. Different size tires will cause the TOD to think tires are going at different speeds and react accordingly.

Ldub
06/22/2006, 03:39 AM
Have time this morning to crunch the numbers on the tire calculator @ 1010 tire.com.

265/60x18 = 30.51"
285/60x18 = 31.46"

They didn't show 280/60x18" anywhere, so for the sake of comparison, I used 285's.
Almost an inch difference (3.02%) is not a good thing. :(

smorris65
06/22/2006, 04:55 AM
It was only after I had already purchased these that I thought of this. But I drove about 60 miles on them and the TOD seemed OK. It was then I thought the TOD is computer controller and will compensate for the diff. That's wrong?

Tone
06/22/2006, 05:56 AM
An inch of difference is pretty large to the TOD - I've had issues with same sized tires with different wear on front and back. NOT recommended....

ZEUS
06/22/2006, 07:05 AM
If you did something like this you might want to study up on your vehicle a little more. You know you can't put grease in place of motor oil right - just razzing you! If you are forced to drive the VX with these mismatched tires you might want to add some air pressure to the smaller tires and take some air out of the larger tires to try to bring the opposing sizes to closer diameters. Be extra careful driving it around like that.

WormGod
06/22/2006, 07:19 AM
OUCH! And your VX didnt open up its roof and ejector seat you?! Oooo, remedy that quick before the damage is done.

No need to say anymore since it all looks like its been said in here already, heh.

smorris65
06/22/2006, 07:41 AM
OK, I get it. I was in a bad situation and these were the only tires I could find. Afterward I realized what I had done. Thanks everyone

Spike
06/26/2006, 07:34 AM
I recently had a pair of brand new and a pair of 'slightly used' tires put on my truck.

The shop put the brand new ones up front.

Well, there was enough of a size difference to cause the TOD to act up. I felt a vibration or buzz as I was driving, the next day I had them swap front to rear, and the problem went away.

My logic is that putting the 'larger' (new) tires in the front actually forced the TOD to constantly compensate for the slower rotation.

Switching them alleviated the problem.

But I am ordering 2 more new tires just to be on the safe side.

Joe_Black
06/26/2006, 08:30 AM
Any vehicle that uses a form of all-wheel drive should have tires of equal outside diameter. Otherwise there will be significant torque-bind in the driveline causing excessive wear or even catastrophic failure.

SPAZZ
06/26/2006, 08:55 AM
this is where your stock VX "LOCKED" all the time hub flanges will kick you in the pants and Manual hubs will come in handy.

If you put a different size on front and back on both sizes you could break the teethe off of your pinion flange, as the same thing happened to me.

When the Goodyear tire shop said we only have two of the 34x12.5x17's so we'll put them on the rear. You can come back in a few days and get the other two for the front. I currently had 32x11.5x17's on it. So, I said ok , but something was saying wait a minut, but I had to get to my dying Grandmas side and my rear tires were shot and I had already ordered the whole set and two just happened to not show up so I said If you say it won't mess anything up.

They put the two on the rear and off I went. Well, A weird noise immediately followed and then on the way home that night it started grinding. Grandma died next day. I tore out 3rd member and the pinion teethe were destroyed.

That is when I installed my first set of AISIN manual hubs and a used 3rd member from the junkyard and went to get my tires. That Goodyear tire shop told me I was SOL even though they told me it would not damage anything and that they were not covering any of my damages. So, I paid for one $300 Goodyear Wrangler MTR, put the other 3 on their Goodyear Tire card and added it to my Bankruptcy.

With the Manual hubs you can put whatver size of tire differance or gear ratio differance you want on the front and back and put the hubs in FREE.

Put it in LOCK and you get the same reation as our flanges in the VX.