PDA

View Full Version : A/C blower fan

Ruflyf
06/29/2006, 08:09 AM
Anyone know if the (inside) blower fan for the a/c is a sealed bearing unit? I think I am starting to hear a high pitch squeel(sp?). Would like to oil it up a bit, but as I am sure it'll be a pain to get to so hate to go through the trouble if it is sealed and just has to be replaced.

Tone
06/29/2006, 09:31 AM
It's under the dash just behind the glove box - 3-4 bolts hold it in. You can try to lube it and certainly clean out all the debris but you may be in for a new one.

:wtfr: You might want to try searching first on all these questions you post, as most everything has been covered in the 7yrs we've been dealing with the vX

E-ZooZoo One
06/29/2006, 09:41 AM
Take it apart?
I took the fan in my Rodeo apart once, to "Fix It"...

Trust me; only Madness will be found when walking down THAT Path!

Just grab a couple of Philip's Head Screwdrivers and hit your local Junkyards...
You should be able to find a replacement fan for about $15 or $20 (maybe less).

And while you're at it, go ahead and grab the Rheostat (the Block Fuse that sits over on the heater exchange box, immediately to the left of the fan)

Sooner or later, you'll be glad you have a spare. ;)

Ruflyf
06/29/2006, 11:31 AM
k, thx for the tips.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/29/2006, 03:45 PM
It's under the dash just behind the glove box - 3-4 bolts hold it in. You can try to lube it and certainly clean out all the debris but you may be in for a new one.

I can vouch for this too...I've had mine out twice to clean out debris and lube it (I used some duralube I had lay'in around) and it quieted right down...but mine wasn't squealing just kind of humming....like it was out of balance with debris in it. It is really pretty simple to remove. Take out 4 phillips screws and gently drop it down and unplug. I had it out in like 3 minutes. The hardest thing about it is laying on the passenger side staring up under the dash.

TexVeX
05/07/2009, 03:43 PM
I've been searching on this for quite a while. This is the first thread I found that related to my problem. Mine started as squeaking like was mentioned above. Now it sounds like a helicopter in my dash. I got up in there and got it out. The visible fan had a screw sitting in it. But even after removing that, I still have a helicopter in there. The sound is coming from that sealed unit part of it from below the fan. Is that the thing I can supposedly buy for around 20$, or am I looking at something else?

I am a female non-mechanic and my boyfriend is nearly blind so not much he can do mechanically.

I need tips for dummies. Thanks.

AussieVX
05/07/2009, 08:00 PM
I had the same issue with mine ... if you can undo even three of the four securing screws (the fourth is at the back and a pain to get to) you should be able to get one of those tube extender things to spray CRC, WD-40 or one of the other spray on lubricants in there. Mine was screaming like a banshee and has never done it again. If it won't shut up, I guess you're up for a new one.

TexVeX
05/08/2009, 10:10 AM
Mine wasn't screaming it was rattling like a monster helicopter. Last time I had it out I oiled it thoroughly. This time, when I got it out and apart I saw that it was worthless. Worn to a nub up inside where it should not have been. So... Due to a road trip coming up tonight, I had to give in and pay for a doggone new one.

The s.o.b. piece of crap!! I fn hate the way they are made now. The old one I could pull off and stick it back on with barely any problem. The way this one was made it took every bit of what little muscle power and energy I have in my fragile condition, and its finally in there. (Insert Sylvester-like line of cartoon curses here.) But at least I have silent cooling and I did it myself. yay! Proof that no mechanical experience is necessary when one is very determined to be cool.

I can blow raspberries at the darn Texas heat now. Cautiously though. Don't want to press my luck. :bgwo: