PDA

View Full Version : My turn - Oil leak.

crager34
07/07/2006, 01:21 PM
The previous owner had some after market gauges inside the cab and now there seems to be a leak from that after market oil pressure sending unit. Having the stock plug sent from Merlin at St. Charles. But, 2 quarts down in two weeks? I had the oil topped off (after a very recent oil change) and was told the oil pan is leaking. So, got the VX at a shop and they are looking at it. Hopefully that is all it is. I am almost at 85k miles. :(

Cyrk
07/07/2006, 01:33 PM
I had a similar problem, I have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge and where it was tapped into the sending unit cracked... was not a pretty site. I had the dealership fix it. It was a pretty penny.

Good Luck.

-Dave

Tobert
07/07/2006, 05:34 PM
Make sure it's the oil pan before pulling it. It was about a 16-hour job to pull and re-silicone mine only to find out that it was a broken head bolt causing the leak.

Shine a flash light down into the valley under the intake manifold and make sure there isn't any oil pooling in there. The way it runs down, it looks like it's coming right out of the oil pan.

If that doesn show the source, clean up your engine then pick up a UV leak detection kit at Autozone. They have a small setup for around $15.

crager34
07/08/2006, 11:57 AM
Tire Plus - Total Car Care says: The leak looks like it's coming from the upper oil pan (I have two?) and he tried to get parts (a speciality pan gasket) but could not. I tried to tell him I was told by a dealer it's not a gasket, rather silicone, but he said nope.

So, I take it to another shop.

Tobert
07/08/2006, 04:39 PM
Just some confirmation for you, it is only silicone. There is no gasket. I used Permatex Copper, but the regulary grey stuff would probably work fine.

crager34
07/09/2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Tolbert. Is it the same on both pans?

crager34
07/11/2006, 05:45 PM
Nice bit of luck here. Turns out the only leak I had was at the aftermarket Oil Pressure Sending unit. I got the stock plug from Merlin at St. Charles, put it in and no more leak. WHEW!!!

Merlin sent me a bag of five plugs and I only used one, so if anyone needs one of these, send me a PM with an address and I will snail mail it to ya, my treat. Gonna be a couple weeks though as I head out to Jamaica for vacation in a few days.