PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Issue

VehiGator
07/14/2006, 01:48 PM
Transmission Converter Clutch Solenoid going bad. GM Transmission?

Ok, my Vehi has about 114K. Took it to the dealer for oil change, etc and they recommended changing a transmission gasket. About a week later, its acting a bit strange. Going from 50mph to a stop, the engine has a hard time gearing down to a full stop, wants to sputter a bit. But if I brake slowly there's no problem at all.

Ok, an update after talking with one of my knowlegable engine friends. He mentioned that the Vehi is most probably experiencing a broken or deffective torque converter clutch solenoid. Its a simple part to replace and inexpensive as well (around $40). He was almost certain that the Vehi's transmission is from GM stock and it was a common problem with GM transmissions.

His other thoughts are that whenever the transmission fluid is changed, the computer in essence, needs to re-learn the new cleaner fluid characteristics. But we both thought that after a week, it was not as likely.

Next step is to just go ahead and replace the torque converter clutch solenoid and update you on the progress.

Last but not least, the dealer said that these transmissions really do need servicing every 30K miles, so be sure not to skip it. (Do we REALLY trust dealers anyway?)

-------------
Update: Turns out the computer just needed to "learn" the new more viscous fluid! Runs fine, didn't change a thing. Go figure!?! Still going to watch it carefully though. All is well.

Joe_Black
07/14/2006, 09:53 PM
First off, check your transmission fluid level in case the shop that serviced it didn't know what they were doing. This is unfortunately all too common with the 4L30E since it doesn't have the dip-stick fill. You can also reset your own computer by disconnecting a battery terminal for about an hour to clear the ECU. This will force several maps to rebuild, including transmission parameters.

Take a look at the link from this site to the tranny fluid change as there's lots of good pics of the major components, including one of the adapter pan where the solenoids are located (there are 3 IIRC). I also have a 4L30E rebuild/shop service manual, so let me know if you need specific tranny info and I can post it.

Definitely check the fluid level and go from there first. The adapter pan gasket where the solenoids are is a common part shared with the Trooper and Rodeo. The last time I bought one it was about $12.