PDA

View Full Version : head unit powers on but no sound

corilyn7
07/16/2006, 01:19 AM
My six disk changer in my 1999 isuzu rodeo died of course!! Very disappointing. A friend gave me a clarion head unit to replace it. I installed the head unit and it powers on but no matter how high volume is there is no sound. I tried the radio and the cd mode but neither work. Please help I cannot stand listening to the radio and i'm very broke so i can't buy a different head unit.

MZ-N10
07/16/2006, 03:13 AM
did u wire it urself? if u did a wire might be crossed or shorted and the deck could be in protect mode. also is the deck on mute?

corilyn7
07/16/2006, 10:25 AM
It actually isn't in my car anymore because i had to have some form of music. But the guy who put it in for me and told me it didn't work works for best buy installing car audio. So my assumption is that is was wired correctly.

Triathlete
07/16/2006, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't "assume" anything! Even the best make mistakes. Also are you sure the head unit functioned properly to begin with?

etlsport
07/16/2006, 03:18 PM
yeah, i let best buy install a head unit for me before because they did it free when i bought the unit... they grounded it wrong and every so often it would surge and blow all kinds of electronics, i went through 2 alternators before i figured out the problem

anyway, when you install it, id start by taking a speaker from somewhere else and wire it straight into the wires coming out the back of the head unit so make sure youre getting sound coming out there

corilyn7
07/16/2006, 06:40 PM
I was wondering if the head unit worked but i have no idea how to wire things. I can usually figure out how to do things like this on my own but this is something that I would rather not risk. If anyone would like to take the time to try to inform me I will try. What really sucks is I don't even want to put that head unit in because I'm so used to having the 6-disk. But I don't think I have any other choice.

etlsport
07/16/2006, 07:36 PM
installation of a head unit is very easy... usually the wires are even labeled, and at very least they are color coded and the colors can be easily looked up online, so dont let the amount of wires intimidate you

are you trying to replace the stock head unit, or the cd changer? it almost sounds like you are trying to put the clarion unit in the cd changers spot, which i can imagine would cause problems with wiring becuase the cd changer only inputs into the factory head unit