PDA

View Full Version : 12v outlet/lighter

etlsport
08/01/2006, 05:00 AM
does anyone know how difficult it would be to get the cigarette lighter in the dash out of the ignition circuit, so that it would have power even if the key wasnt in the ignition? its not that huge a deal, not even worth running extra wires from the battery, but just a thought if its a simple/easy to get to bypass, itd be nice to be able to charge my 12v spotlight overnight while camping without leaving the keys in the ign

VehiGAZ
08/01/2006, 05:15 AM
That shouldn't be any problem at all. All you have to do is disconnect the power lead to it now, and connect a non-switched power lead to it. Careful, though - that drain on a weak battery may be too much and leave you dead in the morning.

Go to Radio Shack and find a snap-on wire tap - it clamps down over the wire and has a spade connector on the side which you run to the lighter socket. If you check my how-to post about wiring up my Valentine 1 radar detector, you will see pictures of a wiring harness next to the glove box that has unswitched wires in it. Also, the hazard light switch uses unswitched power, so you could tap into that one, too.

Use a multimeter to check random wires behind the dash to find an unswitched one to tap into. Hook the multmeter up to the test wire and to ground, then see if it is swithced off when the ignition is swithced off. When you find one, clamp the tap onto it and run it to the lighter socket power. That's it.

Good luck!

Joe_Black
08/01/2006, 06:26 AM
Get yourself an accessory outlet and put in the rear cubby that the tire iron and jack handle are in. That entire rear trim removes easily and there's a big out-of-the-way flat spot inside the cubby for drilling your mounting hole. Wire it hot (don't forget a fuse, maybe 20A) with good, heavy wiring and a solid ground. Then you've got an extra outlet in the back for all sorts of stuff and a slick install to boot!

etlsport
08/01/2006, 12:08 PM
awesome. I had just been thinking not too long ago that i wanted to put a 12v and a power inverter in the rear... i guess it was just too early in the morning when i was thinking about the outlet in the dash because i didnt put 2 and 2 together.. great suggestion on the location though!

i will probably end up splicing a wire behind the dash as well, that way i can use any outlet i want

might end up using the stock 12v wire with the power inverter to make sure i dont suck up too much power with it

TEN36VX
08/01/2006, 10:43 PM
Get yourself an accessory outlet and put in the rear cubby... Wire it hot...Joe,
Is there a good hot line nearby for that or would one need to run wire?

Joe_Black
08/02/2006, 05:13 AM
I don't believe there's a constant hot back there that's of sufficient capacity to be safely used. I just ran a 14 gauge wire right off the battery (with an inline ATC fuse) and through an existing firewall grommet on back to the cubby alongside existing wiring runs. Be sure to put the fuse near the battery in case your wire gets nicked or pinched over time causing a short.

MZ-N10
08/02/2006, 06:11 PM
besure to seal teh grommet so water doesnt get in from it