PDA

View Full Version : Another Fall Arizona Wheeling Trip

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 08:47 AM
Who: Anyone who wants to show up
Where: The Oracle, Az area...the trail will be Charouleau Gap
When: Saturday Nov. 11, 2006
Time: 8:00AM
Its been a while so its time to dust off those off road tires and get out again. This trail is a long one so everyone should plan on 6+ hours of trail time. This trail is rated a 4. But with resent rains who knows (we all remember the last trip!) and this will be my first time on this trail. There are 3 harder obstacles. The hardest is "The Step" which has a bypass (but you know I'll have to give it a try). HERE (http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/az/charouleaugap02/) is a bit of info on the trail.
Meet place and CB channel to be determined as the date gets closer.
So who is going to be on the list?

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 08:49 AM
The List...
I will be there-
Triathlete
VCAMILO
VXCaver

I am a maybe-

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 09:09 AM
This is a more rescent article on the Gap (http://www.azod.com/off-highway/trip_reports/c-gap/index.htm)
You know you want to go! :naughty:

VCAMILO
08/10/2006, 10:57 AM
Count me in...

nfpgasmask
08/10/2006, 11:24 AM
If I didnt live in boring FLAT Chicago, i'd be in...

Bart

PS - If someone in CO or AZ needs an IT professional, let me know, I want to move!

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 11:40 AM
I knew you'd be there Victor!

Bart, WHEN you get out this way we'll get a run together to celebrate!

nfpgasmask
08/10/2006, 12:08 PM
Bart, WHEN you get out this way we'll get a run together to celebrate!

Man, I have been looking for work out West for a while now, and the job market just ain't the same. My ideal spot would be Reno, but I would settle for Colorado or Northern Arizona. For now, I just keep dreaming and jealously looking at all the photos from you all out West...

Bart

VXcaver
08/10/2006, 01:35 PM
Okay, sure... what's a few more holes in my cladding at this point? Anyhow... I don't drive my VX. It drives me... and the VX wants to get busy!

Seeya there!

VCAMILO
08/10/2006, 05:25 PM
Hey nfpgasmask Im sending you a PM about a job here in AZ - phoenix

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 09:36 PM
Hey nfpgasmask Im sending you a PM about a job here in AZ - phoenix

And if you act quickly you can be here in time to join us! :bgwo:

Triathlete
08/10/2006, 09:38 PM
HHMMmmmm! That list of names is looking familiar. I know theres got to be some new blood to inject into our group!
Bob, check your EMail!

nfpgasmask
08/11/2006, 06:28 AM
Damn, I would love to....but I gotta talk to the wife first!

Plus, its like a million degrees there right now, isn't it? My VX might melt. :eek:

Bart

PS - I prefer the cooler weather...but we'll see.

And if you act quickly you can be here in time to join us! :bgwo:

Triathlete
08/11/2006, 08:31 AM
Actually, the past couple of weeks I believe your "heat wave" and our monsoon rains have put you guys in the triple digits where as we've been a nice cool 80's and 90's! And ours is a dry heat!

And I have had nothing to do with any "holes" in VXCavers cladding! :noy: :rolly: :bwgy:

nfpgasmask
08/11/2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, its been ok for the last week, but last week was REALLY, REALLY bad. I live in a small old apartment right now, and all we have are 2 window units. Once its over 95 degrees, the window units just don't cut it. And to make it even more fun, on Monday night during the heat wave, we lost power at 9pm!! My wife and I decided to find a hotel for the night (we smuggled my little dog in too). It sucked to say the least. And you're right, its the humidity that kills me, 80 in Phoenix feels like 60 in Chicago! Its that 110+ in Arizona that is a little much, but that's only for like 2 or 3 months, right?

Bart

Frost: "It's hot as hell in here."
Hudson: "Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!"

(favorite quote from Aliens)

Actually, the past couple of weeks I believe your "heat wave" and our monsoon rains have put you guys in the triple digits where as we've been a nice cool 80's and 90's! And ours is a dry heat!

And I have had nothing to do with any "holes" in VXCavers cladding! :noy: :rolly: :bwgy:

Triathlete
08/11/2006, 09:21 AM
But you'll love the winters!

Triathlete
08/13/2006, 08:45 PM
I know there is some more 'Zonies (or anyone else near by) that want to come out and see what that 4Lo thingie is all about! My spring trips are becoming notorious!

Triathlete
08/18/2006, 10:04 PM
Back to the top because I know there has to be more out there wanting to go...

Triathlete
10/04/2006, 08:07 AM
So, who else is going to join us? Just a little over a month to go! ;eeky; :dance:

Triathlete
10/09/2006, 12:10 PM
Meeting time will be 8:00am at the little store at the top of the hill on Oracle Rd. (Hwy77) at the town of Oracle. I will be on CB channel 8.

So far it looks like it will be...
Me
VCamilo
VXCaver

Who else will be joining us for another epic misadventure! :naughty:

Triathlete
10/31/2006, 10:25 AM
11 DAYS TO GO

Anyone else going to come out and play???????????????????

mistermg
11/02/2006, 09:37 PM
I want to go. Its 4+ hrs to Tucson from here, Neead a cheap motel for Fri and sat nite as I want to look at property inTucson on Sunday. What will I need to bring besides a full size spare for a stock Ironman. Is this a legal trail we will use , Or is BLM or some other lawmen going to hastle or fine us? Estimated miles on the trail and time we return to oricle? will we make national news? anything els you can say to convince me? Thanks, MISTERMG

Triathlete
11/02/2006, 10:01 PM
Mistermg, We would be glad to have you along. Trail time should be 6-7 hours to cover 19 miles. Besides the full size spare bring some food, water and basic supplies and you should be set. The trail is completely legal. You should not be on the national news unless you blow something up on the way! :laughing: This trail is considered by many locals to be the premier trail in Arizona. It travels along the west side of the Catalina Mountain range. The end of the trail will actually be closer to Tucson in the town of Catalina. For cheap hotels there are plenty along I-10. They run $35-45 a night. If you need some info (names/phone#'s) let me know and I'll break out the phone book. Anything else you need to know, give me a shout. I can even meet up with you in town so you can follow us out to the meet area. :thumbup:

mistermg
11/02/2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks, I will post on thursday if I will make it. looks good and I looked at the pix on the newer link. Looks like my backyard! I can find oracle. my brother worked in a copper mine up there and there are some neat caves i exolored back in the 80s. Lotta gold in those hills......

Triathlete
11/03/2006, 10:17 AM
Here are some more great pics from the trail! (http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/c-gap/CharouleauGapAZ/index.html)

Solitude
11/06/2006, 09:38 AM
Waves from phoenix..

Triathlete
11/06/2006, 10:17 AM
QP...does this mean we might be seeing you on the 11th? :naughty:

Solitude
11/06/2006, 11:41 AM
sighs.. well if you do.. it means I havent worked in a week.. so fundage will be low..

in all likely hood probably not.. but would like to get together sometime.. have ya ever been up the crown king trail.. is quite the little trip.. probably not as brutal as your trail but a gas..non the less..

Triathlete
11/07/2006, 08:26 AM
Yep, we hit that trail some time back. Had about 6 VX's show up. It was a great time...VX Crown King meet (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=739&highlight=crown+king)

Triathlete
11/10/2006, 08:11 AM
TOMORROW...TOMORROW...TOMORROW!
See you guys tomorrow! :thumbup:

VCAMILO
11/10/2006, 12:43 PM
See you guys there

Ldub
11/10/2006, 02:57 PM
Y'all have fun...wish I was going, but I'll be there in spirit anyway. :cool:

Also, post up some pic's for us "wanna be there" types.

biju
11/10/2006, 03:12 PM
have a great time, and post pics!

-biju.

VCAMILO
11/10/2006, 08:27 PM
I Billy I sent you a private message and an email....

Triathlete
11/10/2006, 09:40 PM
Well, everyone bailed! :cryy: And since this trail is not one to do solo looks like I'm going to have to reschedule. Bob, get those seals fixed! Victor, get your work fixed! And everyone else just show up! No excuses! For all those awaiting pics...well, you'll just have to wait!
I'll announce a new date when I figure it out!

Triathlete
12/02/2006, 07:38 PM
The trip has now ben rescheduled and is now a winter trip (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=87628#post87628) :thumbup: