PDA

View Full Version : Carmax purchase help...

TheUltimateMan
08/12/2006, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone!

Has anyone here ever bought a vehicle from CarMax?

Does anyone here know the constructive advantages or disadvantages of buying from them?

But most importantly, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully talked down their 'no haggle' prices? If so, how did you convince them that their convenient 'no haggle' price is still, in fact, overpriced?

Any comments posted would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Maugan_VX
08/13/2006, 02:07 PM
I bought my VX at carmax and have had a very positive experience.

2 days after I bought my VX, my fatass friend was getting out of the backseat and managed to clip the front seat recliner knob and ripped it right off. Took it into Carmax just before the 30 day unlimited warranty expired, and they replaced the whole seat with no questions asked.

I recently had my ABS Electric Hydraulic control module go out, and had an intake gasket leak causing an O2 code to set of the CEL. All replaced/fixed at a cost of $50 under the Maxcare warranty with no issues (although I think the intake needs to be redone, VX is coughing when accelerating on a cold engine)

As for the price, I think the cost of the 30-day warranty is figured into that, and IMHO is well worth it. I saw the order on the new seat and was happy that I didn't have to front that cash myself. How many times have you bought a used vehicle and 2 weeks later noticed some annoying defect or damage. That piece of mind is well worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Hope you have a pleasant experience.

Tetsuo99
08/13/2006, 06:34 PM
I bought my 1999 IronMan from CarMax in May and it was a mostly positive experience. I qualify that only because 3 months later, they still have not gotten the replacement parts in to fix the infamous passenger window binding issue. I filed the complaint with them when it was still under the 30-day warranty. Granted, I haven't really pressed the issue for the last two months with my service writer, but then, I shouldn't have had to. Now that fall is close enough to consider rolling the windows down again, I finally called last week to let him know I am still waiting and that I know (thanks to Merlin) that the parts are in Isuzu's CA and/or OH warehouse. He seemed truly embarrassed about the delay and promised to have word on the parts by tomorrow. Right. :righr:

During the 30 day warranty period CarMax did fix the usual hood squeak (replaced the two bumpstops), replaced the two rear OE speakers (warped voice coils from being overdriven to hip-hop, if the FM preset stations were any indication), touch up the FE alignment (excessive toe-out), replaced a leaking headlight shell, and replaced the rear diff oil, this time with LSD additive (someone had left the addy out of the previous change - the rear end was much more groovy afterwards :cool!: ). So I feel that I came out way ahead on the "no haggle price" I paid for the VX.

I have had no new mechanical issues since then. CarMax pride themselves on a thorough pre-sale prep: one associate explained it to me thus, "we'll change all the rubber under the hood (referring to their routine 60,000 mile timing belt replacement of an MX-5 I was also considering) because we are offering extended warranties for up to 3 years, and that's cheaper for us than covering major engine work up the road." If I were a betting man, I'd say CarMax makes most of their revenue in extended warranty sales. That's why I didn't buy one.

The CarMax appraisal of whatever you bring to the table will be Blue Book trade-in, depending on condition. When you consider they don't make commisions on the vehicles, and the sales price is fixed, you are left with no leverage on their offer. So, unless you are in a hurry and short of cash or credit, sell your trade-in privately and buy some goodies for your VX with the surplus.

Just don't buy them from CarMax. Accessories are probably their second top revenue-getter. Good luck with the deal on your VX. :luck: